Is there a dust shoe design for Primo + Makita RT0701C?

Hi! I’m not finding an existing dust shoe for the Primo and Makita 700 series router. Am I not finding one, or should I go ahead and start designing one?

My MPCNC lives in the guest bedroom so I need more aggressive dust collection then just pointing the shop vac at it. :slight_smile: I suppose I should post my build in the other category: standard dimension (inches) from the calculator Primo with the hardware kit from the V1 store and Red/Yellow parts I printed myself. First cut some wood last Friday night, made a good old mess. :slight_smile:

But most importantly, how much of it did you need to floss out of your teeth? :grin:

1 Like

There are a couple of threads dealing with Primo shoes on this forum. You might take a look at this thread: Dust collection without shoe...futile?

There are a couple of workable designs there. I included a Fusion 360 file that contains everything but the shoe itself for a zero-clearance, core support shoe in that thread. It gives you a starting point if you want to design your own shoe.

In shoe design there seems to be some competing issues/choices:

• How much X and Y travel do you want to give up?
  • How much Z distance do you want to give up?
  • How easy is it to attach the shoe?
  • How easy is it to see the work while cutting
  • Is the shoe attached to the router/Z axis or to the core?

A shoe attached to the router will likely work better in terms of dust collection but at the cost of additional mass and resistance on the Z axis. This resistance will impact cutting to some degree, and I believe Ryan recommends attaching the shoe to the core.

I’ve made two additional shoe designs since I made the post on the mentioned thread, and am still not happy with my shoe.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good enough info to get me going for now.

Dust shoes came up on another thread today. It appears that dust shoes for the Primo are trickling down to Thingiverse including this one for the Makita: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4622914

1 Like

I modified the RT0701C mount provided by Ryan to have a little cutout at the bottom and top to fit the carbide3d router and their dust boot:

Anyways the thing I found right away is that I’m always running sort of deep cuts or my workholding is just annoying enough that I just ditch the boot and end up vacuuming everything at the end. Hope this helps!