I'm ready to give up on machining aluminum kinda.... maybe?

It’s also a stellar example of how to accept help from people trying to troubleshoot your machine when you’re frustrated! We’ve all seen examples of how THAT can go!

Well I would hope its the last thing you try that works cause if you keep trying to fix it after it works then that’s just obsessive :grin: :grin: In any case congratulations on machining aluminum

2 Likes

I would say at this point its about 90% im still getting some vibration here and there in the same spot every time regardless of tool, speed, spindle speed, and cutting depth. It even happens on finishing passes with ball nosed bits. But its actually cutting things now.

This took an incredibly long time to cut. Like almost 20hrs total. Mainly because most of it was with a 1mm end mill and I didn’t feel like breaking the only one I had at the moment

11 Likes

Wow, tha’ts amazing. Kudos on this great result!

Looks like winning if you ask me!

Well some.people.just don’t know when to quit​:kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

Congratulations looking good :heart_eyes:

So you’re saying the image of a snail took 20 hours to cut? :thinking: Why don’t you try an image of a rabbit?

9 Likes

Can topics be renamed? Sound like this should be updated to “I’m (no longer) ready to give up on machining aluminum”

5 Likes

Not there yet. 1 project on this machine doesn’t mean success.

. :joy:

I think there’s a perception that this is the only thread I’ve created on this topic, not realizing it goes back almost 6mo lol.

3 Likes

1 mm DOC on aluminum? I thinks me needs a MPCNC.
I’ve maxed out at 0.15 with my Lowrider.

1/8in 2 flute. Smaller i had to cut it way back. Using adaptive clearing

Machine isn’t the problem, you can get to 1mm DOC with pretty much anything if you have the correct CAM settings.

2 Likes

Getting better.

9 Likes

After about 5 failed pieces, a few trips to the metal store (more needed) I managed to finally get 1 complete clamp cut out.

I need to make 3 more, and then finish the machining on the other side.

9 Likes

@Bobbond000 I know this is 4mo ago so you probably have a stable setup now. However given you have a VFD, did you see the effect varying spindle speeds have on chips and how they break? According to theory, Aluminium should be cut at as high of an RPM as possible to push surface speeds close to 1000 sfm which would induce a change from plastic deformation to a more brittle break. I posted a few links here one of these is to a manufacturer of small cutters. I’m wondering if we’re seeing that effect on our machines already or are our forces still too low for the difference to matter.

Hi
Dont know how fare you guys are on chipping alu.
Here is how fare I’ve got no problems with my LR2
8 MM 2 FLUTE COD 2 MM

2 Likes

spray bottle (or mister) with isopropyl alcohol. keep cut area wet to cool down cutter and material to prevent aluminium from ‘gumming up’ cutter. alcohol will absorb heat and evaporate. only need a thin film. especially if cutter contact area is >20% at first pass.

2 Likes