Homing the axis

I wonder if having Two #define Z_MIN settings is a confusion problem for the Rambo Logic I think I will comment out the nonprobe line and try that.

#define Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop. MPCNC //JeffH

#define Z_MIN_PROBE_ENDSTOP_INVERTING true // set to true to invert the logic of the probe.

The other ‘regular’ endstops only have One defining line.

When you press the switch, and do M119, does it trigger? It sounds like it’s just not triggering when it reaches the bed.

The Z mini button endstop (pictured above) actually maps out the build bed perfectly and I store it to EEPROM after its done. The M119 is without holding any endstops. The logic is reversed for the Z axis. As expected the Z switch will barely touch the surface when mapping is commanded and move around to 9 points then stop. It’s just irritating when all that is done and stored, that when a home command is issued, the X + Y execute perfectly and the Z heads through the build surface. Grrr. I’m waiting for a new Rambo from Ryan since I think mine is a victim of power surges here in the rural area where I live. I didn’t have a UPS attached then - I do now. The Rambo 1.4 will get confused as to where it is, so the print layers get moved around compared to when I first fired up the printer. On manual control if I ask it to move 10mm, sometimes it will and sometimes it won’t move - in all three axes. I got a dual shaft NEMA17 so I can adjust the Z a little easier with a knob.

I have a printer with an inductive probe and one with a bltouch. They both level and home fine. There is a setting that tells it the z endstop is connected to the Z min probe. I think something is probably messed up in the config and it’s looking at another pin for the Z homing vs. the probing.

Have you tried M119 with the switch pressed? If it’s not saying triggered, then you’ve got a very simple test (and no MPCNC pushups).

Thanks for the suggestion. The results before and after pushing the button are below. It triggers. I think there is something else in the Z endstop settings that isn’t right. Since I don’t have it deployed all the time - just to map the bed and find an initial Z0 - the Rambo logic needs to know that. More reading I guess since there must be something I am missing in the settings.

17:39:51.292 : N28 M11916
17:39:51.293 : Reporting endstop status
17:39:51.301 : x_min: open
17:39:51.301 : x_max: open
17:39:51.301 : y_min: open
17:39:51.301 : y_max: open
17:39:51.305 : z_min: open
17:40:04.458 : N33 M119
17:40:04.466 : Reporting endstop status
17:40:04.466 : x_min: open
17:40:04.466 : x_max: open
17:40:04.466 : y_min: open
17:40:04.467 : y_max: open
17:40:04.467 : z_min: TRIGGERED

Are you sure your offset is the correct direction? The wrong value and it could easily home and then try to move the offset distance. The logic seems to flip flop in a few places so maybe a positive instead of a negative?

Great idea!

I was thinking of this setting:

#define Z_MIN_PROBE_USES_Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_PIN

It looks like it’s defined by default though.

What I ended up doing (after getting a new Rambo) was building a bracket of 1/8” x 1” aluminum across the bottom of the Z Axis pipes. I mounted a limit switch to the end of it projecting forward a little, off the ‘playing field’. That is connected to ZMin and set as NC like the X and Y. My bed leveling button probe is now wired to ZMax as suggested in Marlin. I have placed a screw where the Z switch will come down when X and Y are homed. I can customize each build surface I use to a Z axis 0 simply by placing a screw at the appropriate height relative the the fixed Z switch. Now I can command an ‘All Home’ and the Z won’t try to go through the build surface. I’ll probe the bed level with my button switch mounted on the hot end nozzle as before and specify a negative offset to compensate. I’m hoping this will give me a customizable ZMin endstop in a position that will stay out of harms way. ; )

Since my ZMax probe is wired NO to a connector, I can swap it for a alligator clip and metal pad style probe to use with my Router. Hopefully this will give me enough flexibility for printing, routing, and lasering.

lf you think my ZMin and ZMax setupmay end up being a problem, feel free to comment. Since I’m new at this I’m open to suggestions. I do realize Ryan has often stated that a guy can dispense with endstops altogether and maybe that is plan D.

Try it out and see what you think. Unless you are doing a tool swap or a part flip. The Z axis rarely needs any precision.