Help with endstops, of how low can you go?

“It’s not a mess, it’s important historical evidence.”

Such sweet words!

And they literally look like little fingernails. Follow my machining metal directions and you can do this too.

I still need to finish drill on a drill press and mount on a hub to spin it and check runout. I am not concerned with the final check. Just another data point. If I can’t measure with calipers, probably good enough.

Just so everyone understands, my caliper checks were from feature to feature of which I could not find any deviation (less than 1-1.5mil) with accurate calipers. Much better than I anticipated. Cutting 14mm aluminum at 4.5mm per pass and final 0.2mm finish pass. And to reference this original thread, my 75mm circular center cut out in aluminum measured to my ref marks 6mm deep drill hole features was within anything I could measure.

5 Likes

What cutter/mill are you using and what feed speed?

John,
For aluminum I run Accupro (MSC) 1/8 dia., 2 flute, solid carbide with ZRN finish.
Speed is fixed with a Dwalt router and feed is as fast as I can go 1600-1800 mm/min.
And I use a misting system.
Everything is described in the “HOW TO MILL METAL” section of the engineering docs.