Headless SKR Pro Info

I put up the question. So odd I did not even consider asking. I trust everyone here so much I did not even think about it.

Thanks everyone. Fingers crossed.

“v3 does not use spiffs but litllefs it seems you use the wrong tool.in platformio”

2 Likes

Yeah, I missed that part… sorry.

https://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/platforms/espressif8266.html#selecting-appropriate-filesystem

It should definitely be part of the platformio.ini in his repo.

1 Like

This was Luc’s suggestion. I will try to work it out now.

Okay well I couldn’t get that to work for some reason. I will try it on the other computer. If not I will just start doing them the way that works for now.

Let’s have some more fun. What is a cool screen/controller other than a phone or laptop?
A tablet is cool, refurbish or fire tablets are $40-$80. Super easy and pretty cheap for those wanting a dedicated shop machine. Choose your OS.
I would kinda like a real keyboard, and to have if fold would be rad. Jeff or Barry got any of those hacker terminal suggestions?

What problem(s) did you run into? How far did you get with esptool.

10" HD amzn Fire tablet normally $150 was $75 earlier this week, expect they’ll be on sale again Black Friday if not before. Their $50 Bluetooth foldable keyboard helps protect and broaden usage scenarios. Use mine everywhere, don’t care what happens to that, compared to my main dev laptop that lives a more pampered/stationary life.

I use www.camelcamelcamel.com (or similar sites) to auto notify me when prices drop to what I’m willing to pay.

For some reason PIP wouldn’t work in my python on the shop computer. I can try again later on the office computer where I know PIP is fine. I started digging deeper and realized I could not even find any commands to extract an image when I did get it working. So I took a break from it.

Yeah that is sort of what I was thinking. Just not sure which route to go. The setups that Barry and Jeff made looked so fun and I have a few Pi’s sitting around, that could be a fun project, and I could make a nice CNC’d case for it.

I still use my olkb terminal on my nightstand to control my home when I am in bed. I have macros on the button to turn off all the lights, show a specific camera feed, or adjust the thermostat.

https://www.printables.com/model/76428-olkb-terminal

I’m sure you could make it work with a cnc. You could make specific keys do special things like jog, maybe.

But it would definitely be a lot harder than a tablet. I am frequently sshing in to update it or edit some files. The keyboard is a real pain if you aren’t used to it. But you could build one with at least number keys.

If you’re looking for a tablet, I would still look at some of the wall tablet solutions people use for hoyne assistant. They try to find cheap deals and there is good software for kiosk mode. The one I’m thinking of is called “fully kiosk browser” I think.

Is the little screen touch enabled?

Flashed a 1M 8266 (fixed) and a 4M 8266 sucessfully, so far so good. The 4MB one allows you to configure OTA, not sure how you would do that in the interface though to even test it.

Have you had any luck with client mode? I put in my network ssid and password but nothing showing connected after, have to keep connecting directly. You should be able to be connected to your regular wifi and bring up the page,rather than going to a specific ssid. I can do that with v2.1 anyway.

Having long filename support enabled in marlin also works with version 2.1, just need a working drag and drop feature for files and I can get rid of octoprint.

Cheers!

1 Like

Refurb firetabs or similar are perfect for this. Firetabs running kiosk mode are all the rage in the homeassistant community. PPL mount them on walls to control automations/alarm/etc. Whatever you use should probably have BT, for connecting keyboards/mice etc.

Keyboards? I recommend something like the Rii i8 BT (beware there’s a non-BT version as well). I’ve been using one on my primo for a while and find it perfect for the job. Affordable, compact to store, the buttons aren’t easily pushed on accident, bluetooth, it’s small/light so easy to operate with just one hand, and the lipo battery lasts forever. The biggest thing I like about it is the cursor and page up/down button design; the positioning lends well to jogging… easy to find by feel without looking. It’s the next best thing to a custom pendant imho. Only thing it lacks is analog jog, but that’s not a necessity really.

2 Likes

Oh that looks too cool. Mapping the movements keys…

1 Like

Oh yeah, didn’t mention I use it with bcnc, which has the keys mapped already. The way that works is the cursor and page up/dn function normally (for scrolling etc), but when I left click on the workspace area in the bcnc window, the keys then behave as jog. Not sure if something like that is doable but just wanted to share in case it helps.

1 Like

What’s the benefit of running kiosk mode on a tablet?

Mostly, you can’t accidentally get to the home screen, or close the browser. But it can also keep it awake and unlocked. I ended up making a new google account for the always on tablet and just unlocking everything I could. But it still has the Internet and we have tiny humans that live here. They are still too tiny to be that worried.

1 Like

Gotcha

If this tablet lives in the (inaccessible by tiny humans) shop next to the machine and is single purpose- no real benefit then?

Actually- if it goes into screen saver mode while A job is running, I assume it won’t impact the job? Like if I close my octopi browser mid print, it keeps going?

Should be fine.

1 Like

Is it recommended to keep the tft attached as a backup or can I get away with just going full headless?

Sorry for basic AF questions- last one for now

If you have the screen might as well leave it plugged in. It isn’t needed though.

I haven’t had a tft on my machines in years. :muscle:

1 Like