Guitars and Lasers

My brother asked me to make him a guitar, so this was a learning / testing weekend. Because I’ve never made a guitar before, so why not.

I took some time setting up my file to make sure my cuts are mirrored for front and back, but I neglected to make sure my stock was the same size as my cut area on the file. So my front side was indexed to the right, but when flipped was now indexed to the left. Also learned I should double check the collet is tightened down before the cut. But the E-Stop Button works great!

Oh well, that’s what tests cuts are for.

Also dialed in the laser a bit more.

11 Likes

So it only took a few years - that’s not too long right? My father passed away a month and a half ago - my brothers and I would often cut firewood with my dad - so after he passed it inspired me to take a chunk of an oak we last cut as a group and finish that guitar my brother wanted. It’s certainly not perfect but I’m happy with how it turned out for never making a guitar before.

7 Likes

Anyone would be proud to own that guitar. Especially your brother when it has such a powerful back story. I hope it brings you two closer together. Great work.

3 Likes