Flite Test Mighty Mini Sportster

This one is sub 250g

2 Likes

Dan,

I doubt very little my experience matches yours, but on the off chance it is the same, you might be interested in this.

With the rubber bands I sourced, one size wasnā€™t tight enough for my pre-flight check in the house. They felt too ā€œlooseā€ and I wanted them tighter. (Even though I understand the value of a ā€œbreak awayā€ wing) The other size was too tight, and seemed to want to deform the foam. Or seemed long term would shorten the life of my foam wing. The printed parts above allowed me to use the tighter rubber band to stop the wing doing what it sounds (to me) what you experienced and what I thought was going to happen to me, and yet not damage the foam wing of the TT.

Although I am aware there were other options to address my concerns, I found some of these pieces ā€œessentialā€ or great add-ones. I didnā€™t do the landing gear yet, as I love the ā€œgliderā€ capabilities of the TT, and the flight time thanks to its ability to glide more than most models.

Edited: so it made more sense, thanks to AC

I do have two wings to easily switch for three to four channel as I see fit, but find it humorous that I enjoy the TT as a 3 channel more. The Simple club, again two wings, but fly it as a four more.

3 Likes

I should add, because you have power pod concerns due to contact with the ground, I only used the wing pieces, Iā€™m very much on the fence about the LG, but havenā€™t yet seen a reason the print a power pod yet. If I was going to do that, I believe I would want to use LW-PLA.

Also I enjoy printing 3DLabPrint as both static and flying models. Their Spitfire came free with my printer (pre LW-PLA days), and since then Iā€™ve printed more of theirs. They offer sales from time to time, and the next 20% off most models will be around Easter. They have pre-sliced gcode for prusa, and I feel have good guides for thin wall printing in general.

1 Like

My power pod was foam, and Iā€™ll re-make it that way. As-is, I lost the prop anyway, the firewall breaking off may have actually saved the motor. Or the fuselage.

Thatā€™s the plan, but I havenā€™t built the 4 channel wing just yet. Still lots of rust to knock off of the flying skillsā€¦

Yes my power pod is foam as well, with the tape re-enforcement, and with a flite test 3 mm plywood motor mount (if memory servers me correct), I donā€™t believe it to be basswood, but it might be.

1 Like

Well, my firewall is PETG, 1.6mm thick, which is close enough to 1/16" for the girls I go with. I sort of planned to try laser cutting 1/16" basswood plywood, but havenā€™t got there yet, and a 3D printed firewall seemed good enough. Control horns are also 3D printed PETG.

So apparently Iā€™m in trouble.
Flite Test released a video, of a ā€œJet (EDF) trainerā€ today.
Of course itā€™s already in the store.

The trouble is that I have stayed away from EDF/Jets, mainly because ā€œlearningā€ to fly a EDF, seemed like it was going to get pricey.

Now with a foam EDF trainer, Ben Harperā€™s A-4 and John Overstreets F-14, are starting to look like they could be more than static models for me.

God help me if I learn of a turbine trainer. Thereā€™s something to be said about starting and ā€œwarmingā€ up a A-10 or helicopter, and having the actual sound (and needing hearing protection) like itā€™s a full size. The requirement to own acres or drive somewhere to fly, keeps it a no brainer for me. But watching ā€œThe Lighter side of RCā€, sure makes it hard to not want to experience it once, until you see an experienced pilot send $10,000 dollars into Mother Earth as a hobby.

Now to contemplate if that video just cost me money or not, and if it did, how much. At least Benā€™s A-4 was never a kit to the best of my knowledge.

2 Likes

We have turbine meets at the local airport several times over the summer. Thereā€™s nothing like experiencing them in person to make you want one. The $$$ is a huge barrier to entry.

love this thread! nice work. Im also a big Flight Test fan, but its been some years since i have flown. I built one of their larger Spitfires, then the mini P51 and they both flew GREAT. Not super accurate scale, but in the air you can barely tell:

I was also right in the middle of trying to turn their Goblin into a tilt-motor VTOL. Got relatively far along then life happenedā€¦

As I am in the middle of a new CNC build and I plan to have laser capability, I will be following this closely as cutting airplane parts is definitely in my plans!

Thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve considered buying a turbine and mounting it on a gokart frame :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need a couple more parts but I have one in my basement. I have been collecting bits over the years. If you ever need help with it lmk.

The turbine? Or the go kart?

My son and I built this one.

3 Likes

I had a go-kart when I was 10 or so. No suspension to speak of, no roll cage, it was basically a one-wheel drive motorized platform. It originally has a 3hp motor, which I managed tl kill, and replaced it with a 5hp. Then I bypassed/removed the governer, re-ground the valves and did some work on the carburator, and got it up to about 80km/h (50 mph). It didnt get there fast, mind you. I flipped it several times, got stuck, hit curbs and wallsā€¦ burnt my arm on the exhaust once where I can still find the scar (but I have to look for it now.) Great fun.

3 Likes

The gearing math says this one will do 28 with the governor. I squeezed into it for the test drive and rode it down the street. I think itā€™s pretty true.