First try with a surface bit

Today I had my first try at running a surface bit. It’s 1 1/4” and did quite impressive. I started with 1mm doc at 10 mm/s and quickly bumped it up to 15 mm/s and it handled it just fine. The dust shoe didn’t like it too much but with the wind coming off of that bit I don’t think it had any chance at all lol. Needless to say my spindle needs to be trammed better than it is but all in all I’m very impressed. Few min sanding with some 100 grit and it was smooth as can be. Tomorrow I’m going to flip it over and do the other side. Changed it to start out at 15 mm/s and went from 45% step over to 60%. See how that does.

10 Likes

Very nice!

2 Likes

You can go faster!! Faster!! Deeper! :smiley: MPCNC planing end-grain oak - YouTube

1 Like

Phrasing???.. :sweat_smile: :rofl: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

(That’s what she said!)

That’s awesome! on this one i actually dont want to go deeper. 1mm ended up being deeper than i really wanted. Im just trying to flatten the top. This is some left over 2x6 from building the base for my LR3 cabinets that i ran though the table saw and glued up to make a table top. Pine does what it wants and the more you want it to be straight and flat the more it will twist and curve lol. Honestly i didnt try very hard to get it to glue up perfectly flat as i wanted to see what the bit could do. At some points i was at 5mm or better im sure.

@Jonathjon looking good! How are you holding that in place? Painters tape and CA glue trick, double sided tape, or some other method?

You can see some screw heads on the edges. Presumably the outside edge is not yet at the finished dimension, so some screw marks won’t hurt it.

1 Like

As Jeff said, screws on the edge. The piece is oversize in all directions so i can trim down to final size.

1 Like

For workplace holding, I finally did the blue tape ca glue and spray activator. I will not go back to screws, clamps, etc. Works AWESOME. No holding tabs, and better yet, no pause and change clamps because I almost hit it.

I still haven’t found that ominous “blue tape” in Germany. -_-

I guess I’m behind the times…first i have heard of this… Got any more info???

Sure 2 pieCes of tape and ca glue an activator from amazon. Here is video. Blue Tape And Super Glue VS The Alternative - YouTube

Some just use super glue, but i had a problem with temp and i think @jeffeb3 gave me the clue of activator. I use it alot. If you use it properly you will not need holding tabs either!!!

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you for that. I will check that out and give it a shot!!

2 Likes

I’ve heard baking soda can also be a good catalyst. But the CA is the expensive part anyway.

My big problem is that the CA glue bottle never seals as well and I end up with a dried up bottle the next time I need it.

3 Likes

You are preaching to the choir here!

1 Like

“pieCes” is that the metric equivalent of pieces??? :rofl:

I do most everything on a Kindle Fire at night, I swear it has the WORST typing autocorrect I have ever seen in a device! Thats my story :slight_smile:

Hey looking good! :slight_smile:

I hear you. I have no excuse, just can’t spell well. There is a disconnect between my brain and fingers! Lot. Always fun trying to debug code.

Yeah this works great. You can also use it to build up thickness. I’ve used it for quick glasses frame repair recently to last until my daughter’s replacement pair came in.

Same here. But I normally buy the small tubes. I’m wondering if the larger bottles with disposable tips would seal better?

1 Like