Finally making some kind of aluminum chips

I am messing around with trying to make a XYZ touchplate out of aluminum. I watched a ton of videos to try and find a starting point so i went with Ryan’s specs on one of his videos and this endmill

2 Likes

Its damn near perfectly smooth on the milled surface. I didnt go all the way through but luckily a razor knife finished it off and i filed the edges

7 Likes

I have a long way to go before i stat on alloy. But ill purchare the bits so im prepared. (I knew i kept that alloy plate for some reason (10 years lol)

It’s just about doing it. :smile:

Agree. Ill at least try it with what i have. Im still building a better table though. (Still in Cam)

So what are you using to set the X and Y with that plate? What code I guess is a better way to put it. Are you using marlin fw from V1?

You can probe with Marlin in any direction but will need to do it manually in multiple steps to keep track of your positions.

I believe with reprap you could script it to fully automate it. Think there is even a script in the forum available if you search on “reprap”.

Anyways, nicely done!
Lazy as I can be I have this one on my wish list:)

1 Like

Second post here: Why I use RepRap Firmware (Duet Wi-Fi) for my CNC

I have got one of those touchplates, you can easily mill then yourself. I have only used it twice in three years though. :sweat_smile:

Well I do not see it be used regularly neither, so it’s at the bottom of my list:)

But milling it myself I won’t do. Don’t like those little metal pieces in my workshop. And I think it’s cheaper to buy one then buying a piece of metal?

1 Like

I guess so nowadays. I bought 10kg of Aluminium for 30€, now those scraps cost over 60€, same seller. :scream:

1 Like

World is going nuts:)