excuse for a bigger printer

For the first time since I’ve started 3d printing stuff, I hit a project where I need a larger printer. It’s not even a project for me, but a coworker. My printer maxes out at 180x180x190 and the parts for the project were designed for a 200x180x200. I’d really rather not reslice the parts as they’re functional and have reinforcements designed into the parts.

Unfortunately I don’t have the time or money to build a new printer right now… but I do believe this will be on my to-do list for sometime next year.

My library has a lulzbot. It would be worth seeing if someone like that could print it for you. Or a local makerspace.

Of course, it is an excuse to go big. What is the project?

The link to the project is below.

We have another coworker that has a 300x300x400 print size. He’s going to take a look at the parts tonight and see if he can print them for him.

I just priced out the parts to get my printer to a 300x300x400… minus somehow modifying the frame, the rods/rails/screws came out to only about $150. Not quite as much as I expected. I can canabalize my current printer for the rest of the parts.