End stops act funny

From a cold start (no power for a few) all end stops function completely normal.

After i run a job or keep the power on for a bit they seems to be hit or miss. Y amost never an issue (unless it runs for an hour or longer) and x occasional but far z has the most issues. I can see the light activate and hear the click of the switch but not stopping stepper.

Any idea how to make the stops more reliable? The longer it runs the more issues seem to crip up with the stops

Your endstops should be 100% reliable. What lowrider and control board do you have?

Possibilities for the problem:

• Mechanical issue that occurs as the parts warm.
  • Intermittent electrical issue…usually the wires but sometimes the switches.
  • Electrical noise issue
  • Control board issue.

For the last one. There is a known manufacturing problem with a few SKR Pro boards. The fix is to 1) remove the LEDs used by the endstops, or 2) wire in a pullup resistor for each endstop, or 3) replace the board. There are many forum topics on this subject.

What control board are you running? If it’s an SKR Pro 1.2 then my money would be on this:

The change in reliability between a cold start and when it has been running for a while sounds very much like electrical characteristics of the controller changing, either more leakage out of the pins or changing digital input voltage thresholds.

As Robert says, there are a few fixes for it, depending on your electrical aptitude.

Replaced the board and it is 100% reliable now

3 Likes

I hope it keeps working. The funny thing about electronics is that the characteristics of the electrical components (resistors and capacitors) can change over time with temperature and vibration. The SKR board has a known defect where they designed that circuit to be on the knifes edge of acceptable. Be prepared to encounter problems possibly in the future. There is a real fix, but it involves soldering 6 resistors to the bottom of the board. There’s more info in this thread: Firmware issues? - #5 by robertbu

I just built my lowrider and had the exact same issue. I’m not happy to read about the SKR issue because I’ve chosen the board because I thought it would be pretty reliable and only had good experiences with BTT before. What a shame

Welcome @juli303! Congrats on your LowRider build.

Looks like Ryan’s been trying to nudge BTT into fixing, or come up with alternative solution…

Hopefully, knowing how many people like yourself are hitting this frustrating issue may help add some weight to the priority of BTT fixing the cause.

1 Like

Yeah, its a pain but try a new board they are pretty inexpensive. The second attempt at the board fixed it all. Maybe ill go back and fix the other when i get time. Hopefully in time for a 5 axis machine :grin:

I just built my lowrider and had the exact same issue

Yep, same here. It wasn’t a big issue for me other than a wasted 24 hours of troubleshooting. It sure would have been nice if this was identified in the build section since it’s the only controller V1E is selling.

It sure would have been nice if this was identified in the build section since it’s the only controller V1E is selling.

I figured out I could fix the documentation myself so I added Troubleshooting documentation into the Dual End Stops, End Stops section of the SKR Pro V1.1 & V1.2 document.

1 Like