Dual Endstops - What for?

I’m trying to understand what the purpose is for dual endstops so I can decide if I want to add them to the MPCNC laser build. It’s a different board to order hence the ask.

Dual endstops provides the capability to auto-square your MPCNC. Ryan’s original post

1 Like

Thanks for digging that up. I knew it had to be here in some form or another but I’m still not having much luck with search queries directly in the forum. Sometimes Google gets me where I need to be, sometimes not.For anyone else looking, wondering, the explanation is best at post 42683/42685.

Does this page explain it well enough? If not let me know what you think is missing. I am really trying hard to patch any holes in the posted info.

https://www.v1engineering.com/auto-square-dual-endstops/

1 Like

I think it likely explains everything but because of my level of understanding I’m missing the value. Then again, all of my MPCNC projects to date haven’t required absolute precision or repeat-ability. I’m certain my X axis steppers are not 100% aligned with each other (popped the zip ties on one of the belts mid carve a few weeks back) but the straight lines I need I seem to be getting.

I WILL however be looking for precise repeat-ability in the next 6-8 months. I’m almost finished all of the panels for the carving and of all the things I wish, I wish I had a way to accurately reset the Z axis after a cutter change. I know I’m +/- .1mm or so and have been countering that by lifting the Z by .1mm when switching from the V bit to the endmill. I noticed that as the collet sucked down on the bit it’d lift ever so slightly. The .1mm pre-lift seemed to balance that out - lifting the Z before tightening the collet means the bit is actually .1mm longer than the V bit was but then the lift that occurs when tightening the collet absorbs that. I have the endmill in loose, pull it down so it’s on the material surface and then tighten.

Plus I like to learn and understand stuff so maybe I’ll go with the Rambo and Dual Endstops so I can do just that? But I feel like they belong on the drop table MPCNC, not the laser (for the immediate future anyway).

In addition to auto-squaring, there is an advantage in safety. The way I understand it (I haven’t implemented mine yet), it would prevent running your gantry into the and y rails. I’ve done that twice and the clunk, clunk, clunk you hear with the belts slipping on the stepper motor gears… yikes.

Tom

1 Like