Dragon's Lair Arcade Game!

I see what you did there… :japanese_goblin:

2 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA

I’d be interested in a Dragon’s Lair flatpack if shipping wouldn’t be a killer.

1 Like

Sadly at this point in time, the cost of lumber to build a cabinet would be more of a concern than actual shipping costs. Last I checked, the MDF was still roughly the same price as before but the plywood had gone up to almost $100 a sheet. That would be an extra $70 ish added to the overhead.

Also, the last time I shipped a cabinet, and shipped a flat pack, they were very close in price. But I’m no pro at shipping these things either so we could definitely do some research and try to figure out the best approach. I have no problems cutting a flat pack out for ya.

I’ve checked a few spots near me to get panels cut out and it really seems to be an issue once I send them the files. Twice I’ve heard that there are no measurements and one wasn’t able to tell me even an estimate. He could do it, but it might take multiple hours to get the files working with his machine and take many hours to cut them.

1 Like

Hmm What files are you giving them exactly? “No Measurements” doesn’t sound like they’re getting the proper CAD files for the piece. I’m happy to have a look at them, and even share the files I have if that would help. As far as me cutting them, I COULD do it, because my CAD files are verified against the original cabinet, as you can see in my photos during this build thread. However, as I said earlier, I’m afraid I couldn’t do it at a reasonable cost, with lumber being what it is in this moment, and shipping costs. Tho I will say, lumber has come down some in cost, since I looked last night plywood is back down to around $67 a sheet, but my local HD didn’t have any in stock either.

Where are you located?

I gave them the files from classicarcadecabinets. I spent a lot of time with the first I sent the files to and then went off radar. The second looked at them and said he wasn’t interested. The third gave me no time line, or production time/costs.

Those were all in the St. Louis, MO area. I’m across the river in Illinois.

Oh I see. Actually the reason I built my cnc machine is because of that very thing. Programmers in shops would see it was arcade related and not take on the job. My view is cash is cash is cash, does it matter what it is?

Then a friend that had a CNC shop told me that it’s because arcade guys are such purists they’ll never be happy, so he himself would turn down the jobs too. He wouldn’t even cut mine for me.

Anyway, the last time I bought the lumber for a Dragon’s Lair / Space Ace conversion, was $115. That’s 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF and 1 sheet of Cabinet Grade 3/4" Plywood. I made my blocking from the leftover pieces of the ply. Cut time for the entire cabinet is roughly 10 hours IIRC. I’m cutting one now but I haven’t been keeping up with cut time so much. I’ve got both sides, and all the MDF parts cut so far and only into it for 6 hours. So 10ish hours I’d say.

I could probably cut the flat parts out for, eh… IDK, let’s say $250 plus materials. But sadly, there still leaves the shipping. Which in the past I’ve found that there’s not alot of difference in shipping cost for flat parts vs assembled. And the last time I shipped a cab was around the $300-$350 ball park. So end of the day, you’re into a bunch of pieces of wood for about $700. I’d think it would be cheaper to drive to Mississippi and pick it up haha

But seriously, if you’re ever in Mississippi, I’d be happy to cut ya one out. Either my version or the original. Only difference is on my version, I omitted the laser disc player drawer because I’m using a Dexter player, since my Laser Disc players are in Laser Disc Player heaven. Plus didn’t see the need to add all the extra cuts and hardware for something the size of a raspberry pi.

EDIT: That was the cost of wood a year ago btw, now it would be $150 in materials alone. Plywood has come down from $97 a sheet to $60 a sheet, so that’s kinda promising. Ish.