Does he want me to hire him?

2 things here, that I find myself wondering.

I’m not sure if I’m believing/understanding holding 3 jobs during the month of December 2014. December is a busy month, without any jobs.

I want to know what happened and the story starting in November 2018. CTO at one company, to a 14 month gap, to senior programmer?
Sounds like a story to be uncovered.

Haha, that’s the old insulting a girl at a bar to lower her self esteem trick. Never works. :joy:

3 Likes

Wow I don’t even know what to say.
Also why so many posts in succession ?
Character limit or just emotional in fighting.
So does he mean that you should have nailed every aspect without oversight the first try.
I can tell you one thing making my struts with no windows will sure show you about the “serviceability “ lol

2 Likes

Engineering is an art of optimizing features and performance which are almost always at odds with one another.
How “good” a design is an assessment based on the weighting given to each parameter or design goal.
In this context I consider the V1 projects damn near perfect.

I would not be overly offended or dismissive of the original post if the criticism was valid and just giving serviceability higher weighting than Ryan. However all the V1 designs are inherently fully serviceable. The simple fact that every part is easy to source and/or make and the machines are individually assembled without any irreversible methods (glue, weld, one-time snap features, etc) means that if you can build it you can service it 100%. Serviceability is actually one of the core strengths of the designs.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t rule out that he’s using serviceability in the wrong context when he means to say it isn’t serviceable- as in he can’t work it.

I don’t know specifically what this person is referring to by “serviceability” however in all honesty one issue I have encountered on several occasions is where a nut starts spinning in the trap when you attempt to remove or adjust a part. I am just trying to provide constructive suggestions here, so a good solution would be to replace hex nuts with square nuts where the nut is to be used in a printed nut trap, as in the following part that I re-worked for the lowrider 3:

2 Likes

I don’t want to be a party pooper here, but I somehow feel like this guy doesn’t deserve all the attention he gets. I sympathise with Ryan getting these stupidities thrown at him, but at one point it’s better to leave these people alone… don’t feed the trolls and all that…

(just to add my own pitchfork while I’m already typing here: I’ve dismantled and assembled the Primo several times lately, preparing for the maker faire in Trondheim. It’s soooo smooth to work with, all the small details that makes it a breeze to get up and running. I was actually happy while doing this, being reminded of how amazing Ryans engineering is!)

7 Likes

Slide-in T-Nuts or something else? Have a bunch of the regular rotating hammerhead T-Nuts for 2020 extrusion that I normally don’t like using (finicky, unreliable). Prefer slider and roll-in nuts instead. MP3DP v4 uses captured T-Nuts which are nice, but recommend blue or orange threadlocker. Mentioning because Ryan noticed my X linear rail was rocking because bolt to T-Nut securing the rail had loosened.

Have designed a few parts that use captured T-Nuts instead of hex nuts now to mitigate nut spin risk.

4 Likes

Cool, thanks - you just gave me an idea for a cnc table clamping system - which is you could use t-nuts in conjunction with a grid of t-slots:

@vicious1

Engaging with user feedback, collaborating with others, and having an awesome beta team helps make you even more of a genius, not less.

That’s exactly why I did not respond to the nutjob on Twitter.

PS: What’s up with this “X” icon replacing the Twitter bird? ???

2 Likes

X Corp. - Wikipedia.

I know it’s cool to pillory him (even more than @AlanJames1987 ), but a wise man (Billy Connolly) once said “you don’t get rich accidentally”, and Mr Musk has a vision for Twixxer which just might make him even richer, or if it doesn’t come off, 20% less rich, but if it goes asre up, he’ll still have 200 billion or so reasons not to be very sad.

I actually have significant respect for Elon Musk.

It occurred to me that the whole thing is causing an immense glut of attention, which is no doubt something he can work in Twitter’s favor in the end.

Sometimes people are just… nuts.

I lurked for a good while before I ever bought anything from the V1 shop, and the reason I kept paying attention wasn’t just that the machines are well designed and approachable for an amateur woodworker like me. The reason I kept paying attention is the fostering of community and the reputable way that Ryan runs his business.

I try to never feed trolls, ignore the nutjobs, and remind folks that there’s no shortage of assholes posting on the internet.

6 Likes

The problem is that you can’t find square nuts very easily everywhere. One of the main design constraints of Ryan was to make sure that his machines were easily replicable all around the globe, and that implies having to compromize with fasteners.
If the nut thing really bothers you, You can heat the nuts with a blowtorch or a gas lighter for a few seconds and then press them slightly against the plastic. That will make them fit perfectly and you’ll have no play anymore.
It’s just a little bit more work when building the thing.

4 Likes

He wanted to call PayPal X as well but the board drove him out. After making Twitter a great place for right wing thoughts, he now takes away the brand’s main idea, twittering and tweeting birds. What are you going to do now? X-ing? I don’t have twitter so I don’t care, but Musk is far off from being a genius. You can look up the stories of Tesla and Space-X having a handler especially for him so he doesn’t fuck things up.

My suspicion is that the X logo thing is temporary. I could be wrong. Time will tell. It may be a publicity stunt.

Surely not? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
https://www.reuters.com/technology/problem-with-x-meta-microsoft-hundreds-more-own-trademarks-new-twitter-name-2023-07-25/

I have intellectual property rights to the whole alphabet, so I think I will sue the parent company of Google for using the name Alphabet for their company. Lol. These people crack me up, acting like they own a letter.

All I see with that X logo is Xwindows. This whole rebrand thing feels like being pranked…

The fact that we’ve wasted so much physical, mental and actual energy on an effin dimbass’s post just burns me. Carbon emissions have actually been released because someone said something dumb.