Do I need an enclosure for the electronics

So I didn’t think far enough ahead and didn’t plan for an enclosure for my electronics.
So, first. Do I need one? I am cutting construction foam which will generate a lot static electricity, which kinda tells me, yes I need one.

I don’t have access to a printer at the moment.

For a temporary solution, could I put the electronics in a cardboard box, seal it with tape and mount a fan in it? obviously I would need some air holes too.

I am planning to mount the electronics on the underside of the table.
I have the mini rambo and plan to run i from a laptop at first. I don’t have the LCD yet.

1 Like

I would have one for several reasons:

1. keep dust from coating everything.
  2. protected from metallic objects like an endmill that could fall on it and short some connections and fry the electronics (been there).

That said, if you mount it under the table, it will make those two concerns irrelevant. I’d still want to protect it, especially since you have power going into it, even if 12v is not something you want exposed.

My thoughts as an elect-chicken not electrician.

I ran my MPCNC for about a month before finally printing a case for the electronics. You could probably get by with not having one for a little while.

Putting one in a box would work. You wouldn’t even really need to tape it shut. A fan would be nice if it’s fully enclosed.

Thanks guys,
I just ordered some fans from Ryan and the LCD screen.

I have an idea of how to make an enclosure out of foamboard that will be a little more substantial and nicer looking than just a box - until I can print one.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a printable case that will take both my mini-Rambo and LCD screen? I’ve looked at a few on Thingiverse, but can’t be sure they’ll fit but also leave access to the reset button…
Oh, I’d also like to fit a fan, although I’m a little unclear on the wiring.

I just printed two separate cases. One for the mRambo and one for the LCD. I eventually designed my own case that fit both the mRambo and a Raspberry Pi, but I haven’t made those publicly available yet.

I made enclosures for both the PCB and today for the LCD:

1 Like

My case for RAMPS board and Arduino mega.

That won’t fit the mini rambo… will it?

No, sorry I didn’t realise you had a Rambo.