.dfx to gcode beginner question

Hello People, hope you are doing well.

Quick question, I’ve been looking on how to convert .dfx files into gcode and it’s a bit more complex then I anticipated. Nothing scary but I would need some input over this.

My questions are:

• is Inkscape the go to beginner software I should pick? Fusion 360 seems like a good program but I wonder if paying that license is worth it for what I’m about to do. I’m not that good in 3D design and often fall into TinkerCad.
  • Does the LR3 works with CNC.js from the get go? I’m not sure… I never done CNC cutting yet!

Sorry if those are common newbie question. Let me know! CAN’T WIAT TO START. Peace :v:

This place to start might be the software workflow and the graphic in the first post of this topic.

If you have a DXF that you want to use (unaltered), you are looking for a CAM solution. CAM solutions will import a DXF directly. The most popular CAM solutions used by members of this forum are Estlcam, and, as a distant second, Fusion 360, and there are a few others in use. The one gotcha in importing DXF files into CAM software is that they don’t contain the unit measurements used when the file was authored. When importing the file, you need to specify if the units are millimeters or inches or feet.

Fusion 360 seems like a good program but I wonder if paying that license is worth it for what I’m about to do.

There is a free (personal version) of Fusion 360. You may have to dig a bit to find it, and there are a few limits on that version. It is the version I use. Note that the Fusion 360 (Imo) is a more capable CAM solution, but has a substantially higher learning curve.

6 Likes

I was just about to say the same thing @robertbu said, but he already did. :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you for the detail response.

Learning time :brain:

1 Like

I was slow to “adopt” use of EstlCAM, but finally did, and I recommend it.

2 Likes

Yes, I think I’ll start with it. For now most of my upcoming projects are already design files.

So I’ll get the hang of it with Estlcam and from there will see. So how do we undo stuff in Estl :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I love the simplicity of ESTLcam. Search YouTube for “ESTLcam how to” or “ESTLcam tutorial” — lots of cool videos.

You import your art or design file, usually as an .SVG (scalable vector graphics), and then choose a big button to select “hole” cut, “part” cut, “engraving,” “carve,” “drill” etc. and then select a tool (create a tool in the crib if needed), and finally just tap on the vector shape that needs to be cut using those choices. You can add a cut depth then, or later.

There is one other chore: setting your work area to match either the size of your art or the size of your material. That’s done by clicking in the top menu: “View” > “Work area”

2 Likes