Cutting 1.6mm Aluminium sheet

I am not sure I mill from 8-12mm/s (usually 8-10 for tichodial I tend to do 8, I don’t like my machine to shake) If I need things to happen faster I just take deeper cuts, that is the whole point of trichoidal, as deep per pass as possible to use the entire cutting face of your tool.

The biggest load on the CPU is the Z axis due to it’s higher step count, make sure that rate is set low.

1 Like

Hi Ryan,

Thanks. I succeded to mill finally a small frame with 10mm/s and 9% trocho.step. I had at end again sticking to the bit but most probably the aluminum is 5083 AlMg alloy. Have paused, lowered RPM, added some oil and progressed. Waiting for single flute bits in meantime.

That make sense! I was not aware of Z steps, that is why you used 1/8 or 1/4 for Z axis for estlcam controller. So, if I revert back for any neccesity to estl controller will lower z steps or swith off Z oscillations.

Currently I left all axis on 1/32 using repetier all seems fine. No shaking at all, added mid supports , fixed the mpcnc against wall with printed fixtures and is very stable (1,2m x 1,2m x 0,4m). Need to remove excess zipties for belt as red in forum.

Need also to find only a good way for calibrating or zeroing against workpiece. I think repetier doesn`t hold steppers, so I can mistakenly move the tool or after reset or if want to continue next day would like to accurately return the tool in zero position on the workpiece and continue the job. Thus I find probing very helpfull. Maybe some code can be added to Marlin(aux 2 pin for probing) and perform probing with script in Repetier?

You can use the endstop pins, there are six sets. There is nothing special about a probe pin.

There is a lot of milling techniques you should get familiar with before you worry about positioning too much. When you do try using fixtures and endstops instead. That is why I spent so much time rewriting marlin for dual endstops. For right now it is best to do it all in a single job using the pause function if you need to change bits or something.

The current software we use can not use a single probe to compensate the position for twist or not parallel to your axis when positioning your work piece to the table a probe will not help with anything bu the Z axis. The dual endstop feature will allow for much more precise repeatable fixture and positioning jigs to allow for many many things and it is easier than probing and compensating every single piece.

Thanks Ryan,

I got some endstops and will install them.

I still didn`t upload the last firmware. I guess the endstops are enabled and there is no need to pull out jumpers for Z axis as is set in the software to have 4x times less steps ?

• X, Y, Z, E0 [, E1[, E2[, E3[, E4]]]]
    */
    #define DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT { 200, 200, 800, 200 } //MPCNC

I will just add laser output to aux2.

Depends on what firmware you use. Use the one correct for your equipment.

Aux2? Have you seen the Leo laser write up, he explains what pin seems to work best and why.

You seem to be using the guess and check method a lot. you should probably start a thread with your machine specs and size so we can all have an idea of what you are working with. Then maybe a description of what you are trying to do with it. This was a thread about milling aluminum and then you went to estlcam firmware/control, then repetier, and now a laser. I keep scrolling through and trying to read your comments but I am unclear to what you have and what you are actually trying to do with it.

Ryan,

Mea culpa if I was jumping a lot from different topics but all is stil connected to milling aluminum. I was trying estl control if perhaps would be better. There are thousants pages in forum, some old, some new. I red a lot of pages and yet I didn`t find latest conclusions since they were maybe in other threads (and there are many which I would like to read). Those advises you give me really help. I travel a lot and home only one month every once in a while thus trying to do as much as possible in that time.

I have an MPCNC , laser and spindle, extruder waiting. Currently using spindle and trying to cut out something.

I only mentioned laser since I will add it in firmware if will be used later. Last year have used it on aux 2 and was working, not aware of Leo post, will read it. If I wouldn`t mentioned it I wouldnt know.

Same with limit switches, remebering few of your posts saying no to them I learned double switches will help with milling and squaring the machine.

I hope you undertsand for a guy in my position when I have a decent internet connection this forum and advises are a golden mine otherwise would still be reading threads and do nothing. I guess again :slight_smile: , you are very busy and I am very gratefull for all your time and advises.

We are all here to help. I still think it would be best to start a thread of your own with your details and intentions. What board, what drivers, what lead screw, how big is it, what laser, what spindle, what bits?

Try it my way and then we can help you out more directly instead of in a general way making guesses.

This is the best place to start.

https://www.v1engineering.com/assembly/software/

https://www.v1engineering.com/information/how-to/

Thanks Ryan,

Yesterday went through, downloaded new firmware and all OK now.