Custom Bart Dring FluidNC controller

https://amzn.to/3oKwlAs, less expensive, more features, or just use a phone or old laptop! Esp-webui, GitHub - luc-github/ESP3D-WEBUI: A Web UI for ESP8266 or ESP32 based boards connected to 3D printers / CNC, is hard to beat.

Fair. I’m not comfortable with what you have to give away to pay for it being that price but it’s a solid option.

I bought a tablet but honestly just use my phone most the time, or the laptop I fill orders from.

Just one thought, because of our crazy transition out of Europe, we can’t seem to buy from Tindie here in Scotland/the UK. Maybe you will hold and sell your own stock? Having used the tinybee and fluidnc on my primo, I’d be really keen to try this 6 pack board on my LR3.
Thanks for looking into this, an exciting prospect.

From Tindie…

Bart Dring Shipping Policy:

UK VAT: Tindie does not have a way to collect VAT, therefore, due to new rules, I will be refunding orders less than 135 £ which is the threshold for customs

1 Like

I will be. I am not sure if he plans on carrying them.

Connectors.
Dupont 3 pin for input? Or just signal and ground with power nearby?
Dupont for the steppers?

Outputs.

I assume you want NPN MOSFETs. What + voltage do you want on the connectors. What max current?
I suggest some 5V outputs that can source and sink a little current for lasers and enables. 

Any advice here?

1 Like

Really? You have to ask?
gigawatts

Well, my thought was the mosfet could be the 5V output of you need them to be. But maybe that isn’t well thought out. The 10V pwm signal common on spindles was the other thing I could imagine controlling.

Maybe there is a good reason Bart makes both types. I haven’t ever tried to mess with the spindle and I don’t troubleshoot other people’s lasers. Maybe @robertbu would have an opinion.

1 Like

So I requested getting the outputs selectable to either the logic level, or input level. I thought that might be handy and I think it is possible.

There will still be at least one module spot left so the spindle controller could be plugged in. The modules are pretty inexpensive. I get it though t if we can cover it with the built ins, that would be better.

The hard part now is there are not any proper Mini-PV inputs. Wire To Board / Wire To Wire Connector | Connectors | LCSC Turns out that is why the boards either have the locking inputs or JST. I think I need to do JST on the end of my wires. Those pins are so short though, I really like the size of the Dupont pins. The specs sheets say they carry the same current.

Mini-PV is just a brand name right? There are a bunch of other choices under Female Headers.

Would be nice to have integrated the relay for the router and not as a module. That way we can control the on/off with gcode.
Jaimek idex build is going to be hard to beat, but fluidnc interface is sweet :cupcake:

The female headers are there, just no good male ones. We use 1x3p and 1x4p this 1x4p is looking okay for the steppers M2530V-04-BK XFCN | C557719 - LCSC Electronics. This would also work, HX25418-4A HX(Zhejiang Yueqing Hongxing Elec) | C704569 - LCSC Electronics even though we do not use the locking style.
I do want to use the second one for the inputs though as you can not get them very close together and I would prefer they all match??

Mains voltage would take up a lot of room. There is a module for that, and I think using an SSR near the device is a really nice way to do that instead of a big relay on the board? I have been thinking about that though. For me, I have two SSR’s one for the router and one for my vacuum. I plan on using two of the 4 outputs for that.

2 Likes

LCSC is missing the feature to see other connectors in the same family and like the female corresponding part to a selected male. Digikey is nice like that.

Bart’s old mpcnc board was really small and very capable. Sad its no longer supported by him

1 Like

When my kids were little, I came back from a trip to Texas with “Canned Armadillo” for them to “try.” It was actually a plush armadillo toy in a can. They got a kick out of the real-world dad joke.

2 Likes

If your motors are from a known manufacturer then the wire colors can be meaningful and it is not as difficult as you might think to get the polarity right.

For that reason I would suggest JST-XH sockets which can also (somewhat poorly) accommodate DuPont. I think the official firmware for LR3 should not define INVERT_Z2_VS_Z_DIR and then all the connectors are in the same direction on the SKR Octopus. You would need to warn people that are upgrading, but for a new kit with JST-XH connectors it will be the correct direction the first time.

1 Like

That is what I am going for, but updated a bit more universal. 6 drivers in case someone tries idex or something.

You don’t think I should get the locking dupont sockets that fit regular dupont for the steppers? Those can be directional, and I could just have the new wires shipped out with the locking DuPont female ends (we still have the non-directional male end). I did find wire to wire connectors so I will try to get those for the wiring harness.

For the inputs I will just use regular pins, signal and ground. Any reason to have power there?

Outputs can’t be selectable, so I chose two logic level and two input voltage. Screw terminals

Power input, pluggable screw terminal.

Ohhhhh I have new motors coming in today. Even stronger, selling for the same price, custom made and packed for us. I have been waiting months for these puppies.

4 Likes

Would be amazing if someone try that on fluidnc… I already have a sixpack, lacking the knowledge

2 Likes

Frankly, I was surprised to find that. I was looking for a cartoon of two wombats in armor, but found that a brewery actually named one of their brews Trial by Wombat… I’ll leave it to our heartier survivalist mates down under to let us know if it’s actually any good. :wink:

1 Like

That is great!!
How much stronger??
I used STEPPERONLINE 84oz for bolth MP3DP

1 Like