Custom Bart Dring FluidNC controller

Now I wish I was artistically inclined, as I would draw a LR3, up on cinder blocks, with screw grubs* rolling away the bearings…

*Yes, screw grubs. Larval insects that look like screws. They’re always getting into trouble anyway…

Well, not sure what I did differently the USB-C esp32’s are working fine. :man_shrugging:

Currently, I can only get the external antenna version in the micro USB, not the USB-C

“Now I wish I was artistically inclined, as I would draw a LR3, up on cinder blocks, with screw grubs* rolling away the bearings…”

I was going to say you don’t need to be an artist with AI, just give it that prompt! But I tried it and the results were not great.

But this one does kind of look like mine: a mess.

I tried the crown once in air and it seemed ok, but on second try it hung part way theough. Console said low memory.

I thought if I waited it might come back but so far nothing.

Where should I look first? Are these mostly going to be bugs in FluidNC?

I bought one of the JL1 lasers after seeing it described here in these very forums:

I mucked up the firmware with a botched upgrade (my fault!), and had to figure out a different way to put GRBL back on it.

Before I messed up the firmware, there was a red cross laser pointer that lit up (it was adjusted poorly but was adjustable and I had it working ‘well enough’ for framing or parts placement.)

After getting that machine running again, I can’t figure out with GRBL how to energize that LED pointer.

I wonder if something like that would be usable for the jackpot board when used with a laser. Use one of the extra IO to power the red dot/ red cross pointer and have control over it.

EDIT TO ADD: I am considering the jackpot as an upgrade for that JL-1 depending on how FluidNC works out with lasers…

1 Like

Three failures in a row where it would hang part-way theough. Then tried launching the job and closing the web page and it worked fine.

Ryan mentioned something with the web interface causing problems with laser stuff I think.

Th web stuff is going to have to get fixed if that’s going to be the UI. I will at least take a peek in there.

1 Like

Checking right now. I think it is the laser section.

config.zip (1.4 KB)

This is the mpcnc config I am using, no laser.

There is a way to switch tools if this is the case.

Can’t find a way to boot without energizing the steppers. From the previous questions.

Those 100…still have something funky more details after I run the crown again.

2 Likes

So I think that out of memory is the reports/auto/50ms. Change that to none or like 15 seconds.

Crown works fine for me on that new config.

2 Likes

I need to customize that HTML file to turn down the “reports” and add some macros. I think I can do that with a new branch.

2 Likes

The other workaround for that laser thing is probably booting with M5. If there is a laser defined “laser mode” is on by default. With M5 that shuts it off. Probably a safe bet. I will make a note of that. Lightburn and any other use a starting M3 or M4 so no issues with it not on at boot.

1 Like

Going back to your feedback about not knowing what to buy I think fewer options is better. If someone knows what they are and wants one they can buy their own from the usual suspects.

You did say your recommending/supporting/intention is AP mode and you don’t need an external antenna for that.

Just some counterpoints to consider.

Edit: given the variability in boards could you add the pinout image of the board you’re using to the docs so if anyone is buying their own they can compare the (stated) layout.

1 Like

Ok I can confirm, I turned reports to 1000 ms and it worked 100% with no issues, even staying connected, 3 out of 3 times. :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for all the beta testing. I created an account on the store just so I can circle like a vulture and buy one as soon as the ‘mere mortal’ tier is unlocked. Have already put a few other bits in my cart as a treat. Since it’s transatlantic shipping might as well.

Here there’s a thought - if Ryan was a serious social media hype influencer lifestyle mega success they should really have started a Kickstarter for this new board with a huge marketing campaign and 6 months of soft focus teaser photos.

Thank goodness they’re just an authentic person with a genuine passion for their product instead.

4 Likes

I have send the shop link to some friends. And they also want to try this new board… The mortals link is going to have some awesome traffic in the shop

2 Likes

Absolutely. When I am confident it will not be changing for a while you will get the whole enchilada.

Great, good to know I didn’t mess up. Laser mode is special and I didn’t find that out for a while. Did you use my new config or just change the report time? Odd thing is I tried the laser mode by SD and had no out of memory issues. I will try again and let it run for longer.

So I will try the fixes mentioned earlier. I think the right thing to do (for those using a laser) is set up the laser as tool #2 provided that does not put it in laser mode all time.
Update the report period.
I know the fluid guys are actually working on some memory tweaks for the wifi modes. It seems to be in heavy development still.

I was actually going to put one up yesterday but I got into a flurry of testing last night and was using them all for various things. 10 more should be here in a day or two and those will go up under a BETA tag. seems I still need some testing before I say “here is how you do all teh usual stuff”.

3 Likes

I only changed the report time. I looked at the difference in the configs for my own curiosity but I didn’t load the new config.

2 Likes

I think i saw uart only. Are you using uart for the squaring also??

Oops just searched and you said other than homing.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind to try things. I would only need the board, i hace some esp32s in a box , i own a 6pack already so this new board shoul ve pretty easy if not the same.

Now: where is my beta TAG? :melting_face: joking

1 Like

Been curious since I read this, was there an alternative Wifi protocol, and/or alternative RF frequency, or some other wireless communication mechanism they were recommending?

1 Like