Computer interface questions!

Hi there,

I realize this may be a dumb question (so please take it easy on the new guy!) but I am just getting ready to build my LowRider V3. I’ve used my dad’s LR2 numerous times and finally took the plunge!

My question centers around the user interface. I have ordered the SKR Pro1.2, 5x 2209 drivers, TFT35 E3 V3 (which my dad also had on his V2), but as I’m looking at some of the V1 Engineering community’s set-ups, many of you have a computer interface set up as well.

I typically use Fusion 360 to design my projects, with Marlin as the post-processor, but am at a bit of a loss regarding how you interface the computer? Does the computer provide any control of the machine? or are people just using it as a fancy hard-drive and sending the G-code directly to the control box from the computer? I usually side-load my G-code from a thumb drive into the control box.

Am I a complete idiot and over thinking this? Under thinking?

Thanks for your help/insight!

1 Like

“The only dumb question, is the question not asked” - Some old dude from the past

But hey, I can’t really answer your questions, but wanted to point out these guys here are super chill and very helpful. Someone will come around and give you all the correct info and advice. I know some people use Repetier, which will allow you to control your machine via computer, and some use something else I think it’s Octopus or Octopi or something, that they use headless (See, Im not alot of help here at all).

Just be careful using USB solely, especially if you’re far away from the machine. I’ve had issues with that in the past that when it loses connection, job is ruined, fire is possible.

Anyway, welcome aboard, and sit tight, someone with all the smarts will be here to help you in a few!

2 Likes

There are a few options. The difference is where the gcode lives. And by extension, who is in control of streaming it to the skr.

In you thumb drive example, the screen is storing the gcode, reading it, and writing it one line at a time to the skr.

If you used the sdcard in the skr pro, and marlin mode on the screen, the gcode is stored on the skr and it is responsible for reading it. (Older versions of the firmware stored the gcode on the screens sdcard).

If you had a raspberry pi attached with octoprint or v1pi (which runs octoprint and cncjs), the gcode would live on the pi and it would stream the gcode. In this case, you connect to the pi’s website wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or computer to actually click the buttons, but if your tablet falls into a black hole, the pi will keep running.

If you use repetier host (or the desktop version of cncjs) on a laptop. The gcode is on the laptop, which is streaming it. Better hope windows doesn’t do any updates (it’s probably fine).

If you have a wireless adapter on the skr (and esp device), then you can wirelessly send the gcode to the sdcard in the skr. You can also use your device to control the skr through the web page. If your tablet dies, it will still run.

Wireless is nice. But remember that wifi and networking is complex. If you don’t want that complexity while milling, I don’t blame you.

2 Likes

Marlin, at its core, is handed g-code from somewhere and executes that g-code. You will find the reference for the particular flavor of g-code run my Marlin here. The only question is how you want to send that g-code to Marlin, and Jeff’s list gives you an idea of how many there could be. Each method has its strengths and weaknesses. In order to get an overview, you might look at these two references:

There is one interesting twist with the particular setup you are building. The display has two modes. In touch mode, the display runs its own firmware and delivers g-code in a very similar way to an external computer. In Marlin mode (enabled by holding down the knob for three seconds) the display is being painted directly my Marlin. These two modes used different cabling. That is why there are three cables connecting the display to the control board.

Does the computer provide any control of the machine?

Most g-code senders provides some control of the machine…movement, homing and the like. They do it by sending g-code. Repetier-Host is the software documented by V1, and it has an interface for moving around and homing. Anything that Repetier-Host is doing to control Marlin is something you can do by manually sending g-code commands. Repetier-Host has an interface you can manually type in g-code commands and send them to Marlin. Repetier-Host also has a few buttons you can customize with g-code scripts.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement! I ran into some trouble with my Dad’s CNC a year or so ago using the USB (hence the reason I’m asking about the computer interface) and ended up with a ruined project. I know it happens, but hopefully can try and avoid it with a better set-up!

1 Like

Thanks Jeff. Is any one option better than another? Or is it a matter of personal preference on how to run the machine? I’m interested in the Raspberry pi option

Thanks @robertbu for the links! All the responses have been super helpful in understanding the work-flow better!

Based on forum posts, your issue with the USB connection is rare. But, if you want the absolutely safest way to run a job, use an SD card in the display, and run it with the display in Marlin mode. You can set the job up using some other method, but run the actual file produced by Fusion 360 postprocessor in Marlin mode.

Part of sorting through alternate methods will depend on what is important to you. For example, I absolutely did not want my laptop in my shop area for extended periods of time, which eliminates several of my options.

Part of it is personal preference. Part of it is risk aversion. Part of it is budget.

I use a pi and I bring my cheap shoptop to the garage. If you are ok with using the sneaker net to move sd cards or usb drives to the garage, then that is a cheap and reliable solution. If you want to feel like you work on a $100k HAAS machine, then mount a touchscreen monitor and hide a desktop out there.

1 Like

I use my LR3 with Estlcam as the postprocessor as well with another board, the only drawback is that it always needs a USB connection and sometimes the buffer runs out, the job pauses and I have to get it back on track. It does work, but it is kind of annoying sometimes. :smiley: I’d like to have the possibility to run it without the USB. I thought about a mini-computer that I also attack to the gantry, but haven’t gotten that far yet. :slight_smile: