Community thoughts on 3d printed extrusion brackets vs aluminum?

Awww, it ain’t that bad.:rofl:

On my most recent printers I have used printed brackets, small inside 90’s, large outside 90’s, and my previous printer was all panels.

I think Dan has inspired me to follow his lead to the rail core style of mixed extrusions and panels on my next build.

-My printed brackets moved I think…not 100% on this, it was my first build. It seems extremely stable now. So heavy infill, careful screw tension.
-Small inside 90’s are a bit fiddly to use but man are they clean, and extremely functional.
-Outside 90’s are extremly easy to use and adjust but boy are they expensive and kinda ugly when you have too many.
-Panels make for a loud printer, and you need a very square CNC.

So this is where the mixed media comes in. Panels on extrusion actually allow for a bit of adjustment if you have a very square CNC. My previous was finger joint panels and once they were built…you where stuck with whatever your hammer and glue set the panels to. IF you chose not to panel all 5 sides you will probably need a few small 90’s to shore up some corners.

2 Likes

We(royal we) also found that the square corner cubes aren’t always perfect cubes. People were having issues squaring up their frames.

1 Like

Square CNC best you can, then maybe CNC panels with slightly slotted holes, snug up panel-to-extrusion bolts while extrusion is clamped to architect square?

Maybe Dimension panels so extrusion is slightly proud e.g. 1/8" to account for squareness correction during assembly.

Slap on some green glue noise dampening if you have it

I haven’t assembled a Repeat, am trying to learn best practices from you guys first.

Maybe double panels, inside and outside. Inside panels square up, wiring fastened to this. Outside panels hide the sins and encapsulate the Rockwool/insulation?

2 Likes

I am processing best practices, and generating my own set of unique practices, for use in my imaginary shop. It’s a fun place! No cover charge (although there’s a four drink minimum), and no corkage fees if you bring your own safety equipment!

4 Likes

Thinking about to starting a Repeat DP (double panel wall) build topic…

2 Likes

Yea, the railcore’s panels set the extrusions straight.

1 Like

My gridbot has the aluminum angle brackets inside (which I think mostly restrict the position of the joint, a small amount of deflection is still possible) and panels on the outside. The panels look like a quarter of a circle with about 60mm radius. Now that I’m looking at them again, I am not sure how they are keeping anything square… They only have two screws.

Stewart (who design the gb) laser cut these panels from acrylic. I printed mine.

I don’t do anything but PLA and the only enclosure is my office.

2 Likes

Umm… If it only locks from the outside, it’s not an office… Just sayin’.

2 Likes