CNCing from Web Interface - Octoprint or CNCjs?

I just quickly scanned your build, then OctoPi and then CustomPiOS. I am glad to see that the build is scripted. It is amusing to me that, in a way, things haven’t changed much since I started working in 1986: we used image-based deployment back then (it was PC images on tapes).

You have done a lot of heavy lifting with your project. I will look at your build as it will save me work.

I also just noticed earlier today that the Raspberry Pi Foundation have changed their firmware and you can directly boot from a USB drive: I have been waiting forever for that change.

2 Likes

I love that change. I have a rpi4 on my desk booted from a USB3 drive and it works pretty freaking well for a wallet sized machine. I can easily browse the web (with all the one page javascripts in full force) on a 4k monitor no problem.

I was pretty impressed with the custompios too. I don’t like installing someone’s random iso, but if I could at least look through the script that was made to make it, I might have a little more confidence in it’s “security”. No one should trust me though, I’m far from an expert in security. I just have used Linux for a long time (not since 1986, more like 2006).

I have been using Octoprint for my 3D-printers for years and I am currently using bCNC on a Rpi3 and VNC for remote access for operating my CNC. I have recently installed CNCjs to try it out since I like the concept of Octoprint but prefer a CNC-native UI.

I think a major difference between Octoprint and CNCjs is that Octoprint has everything running server side. You can view the same cnc-session from any number of browsers/computers at the same time. If i’m not mistaken, when you start a CNC job in CNCjs you are bound to that single browser session. I would love to be wrong about this but if I am not, this is a dealbreaker for me for CNCjs.

1 Like

@ehsmaes - please forgive me if I’m jumping to a conclusion here, but what you’re seeing as a deal-breaking limitation, I view as a safety feature. A running CNC router must not be left unattended. Folks on these forums have experience with going from “good cutting” to “on fire from collet friction” in literally seconds. It should go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway, the same is true for laser cutting/engraving.

2 Likes

You’re 100% on the money, fire safety-wise, but I think what he may have been worried about was dropping the session by some fluke of networking/web demonry, and not being able to reconnect to it, even if he’s standing in the same room. With Octoprint, and everything running server-side, he knows that the jobs is running along just fine and he can reconnect to the controls for it, all while remaining right next to the Big Red Button (or extension cord, or mini-guillotine, or whatever). If CNC.js is running purely client side, and basically piping through the server to the machine, if you lose your connection, your job is ruined. But I’m not sure that’s the case. I think CNC.js is, in fact, server-side. I don’t know about reconnecting to a lost connection, though. My pi is AWOL at the moment…

You can start or stop the service on the V1pi home page, but I haven’t tried closing the browser with a job running - seems a pretty easy test to try during an “air cut.”

Hadn’t thought of the lost connection angle. I’ve got the luxury of cabled network connections to all my workshop stuff, so lost connection would indicate a bigger infrastructure issue (like power outage) that would probably also stop the CNC. I just don’t trust wireless when the spinny/cutty stuff is running at speed.

Now you’ve got me worrying about the spindle starting back up when the lights come back on…

No, if the power goes out that should reset the arduino/cnc shield and the spindle relay should shut off too.

I’ve definitely connected from more than one session or computer, but I haven’t tried doing them at the same time. There are some features for watching a folder. And being able to load it from diles in that folder. So you should be able to upload the file from your CAM computer, then head to the cnc, turn on the cnc and ooen that gcode and manage its job.

Interesting theme.
Did you get it?
I have CNC wood router . I want to know is it possible to use web interface for my CNC.