CNC Spindle for the updated 5/25/26 machine

I am using a 400 watt spindle (http://www.ebay.com/itm/261878403099?trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) and 48V supply (http://www.amazon.com/SMAKN®-Regulated-Switching-Supply-Quality/dp/B0113JHSRO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00) on my MPCNC.

I created power supply cases for the spindle controller and power supply plus mounts to fit the update tool mount that includes a magnetic dust shoe.

This is a bit more expensive than the Dewalt router motor but it is a good performance option for the updated MPCNC.

I really want to try one of these spindles.

Looks like your a bit light with your power supply, Your spindle is 400W plus some losses at the speed controller. You might want to get one 500W or bigger, I see a few 500W for a few bucks more.

Yes, I probably should have gotten the 500W supply. Doubt I will be running it under full power but if it turns out to be a problem I guess I will have to spring for the higher current model.

So how does the spindle perform vs the Dewalt 660? I know the sound is greatly reduced, but how does it cut? :slight_smile:

tnx!

g.

So I recently switched to the 500W spindle… I haven’t really done enough cutting to say this definitively, but I think it’s a bit slower and a bit cleaner than the DW 660. It has a lot less vibration it seems. One downside though: the mounting distance is completely off. I’m probably going to need to re=drill the Z axis.

This is the unit I bought yesterday: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-400W-Brushless-Spindle-Motor-ER11-Mach3-PWM-speed-controller-Mount-PS-/282013635221?hash=item41a9529295:g:fScAAOSwB4NWz8fs

I figured if I was going to do this, I didn’t want to screw around with a screaming-loud brushed motor at all. :slight_smile:

g.

I’m jealous! Although I’ll be honest, full speed on my new spindle is a fraction of the loudness from cutting the wood… Those brushless ones usually come with a Hall sensor though… Now that would be cool to have!

I’ve got a 2.2HP spindle on my ShopBot and I don’t need to talk loudly to be heard over it (if I’ve got my speeds & feeds right! :slight_smile: ) I suspect it’ll be similar with this little spindle. We’ll see.

g.

Amusing update - the seller actually shipped me a Tarot X6 hexacopter kit instead of the spindle I paid for. :slight_smile: That went back to him last week and the spindle should arrive on the 21st.

g.

Well, now it looks like you stumbled into a new hobby. Seems like as good excuse as any, I just bought some fpv stuff myself.

I’ve been flying FPV off and on for a /really/ long time. (and more hobbies is the last thing I need! laughs)

Here’s a pan/tilt control demo I did 8 years ago. Not much to it. (I don’t put flight video on YT…)

g.

So crazy!

I’m pretty excited. I have flown a bunch of quads and a few wings a long time ago. You can see the giant quads I had on thigiverse. The FPV thing looks like it takes away all the things I didnt like about flying. Like trying to figure out orientation at a distance.

I would probably go nuts if I didn’t have a pan/tilt - it’s my understanding that you don’t normally use those on quads. You’ll have a hell of a lot of fun though! If I were you I’d build a sit-down platform that’s rigged the same as a helicopter. That’s an intuitive control system with quads.

g.

Just pipe it into your cockpit!

It’s on the list. :slight_smile:

g.

Small world. I work with ArmattanQuads.com as a U.S. based technician :slight_smile: