Challenges

Well the solution is obvious. Let’s start building planes! What could possibly go wrong?

1 Like

I’m hoping I didn’t inadvertantly offend any Antarctic MPCNC/LowRider owners by leaving that continent off the list.

1 Like

They’re surprisingly easy to build. Just a bit more difficult to test :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m in. How much dollar-tree foam board do I need to get?

3 Likes

Well, that’s obviously going to be predicated on your final designed size. For the trip we’re talking about I wouldn’t want to go with a yacht smaller than, say, 40’. Remember also that the design won’t just have the hull, you will want to also put in a helm and cabin…

Could 3d print a hull and then do a fiberglass layup like this guy:

1 Like

I bet I can make this into a wooden nickel. Padauk in pine (or whatever this 2x4 is).

At first i thought it was a bit small but now that I’m visualizing a comfortable circle around it, I think it’s perfect.

Not sure I have the guts to inlay both sides of a somewhat thin piece, so the back will probably be drawn with a pen.

4 Likes

Why not cut all the way through for both pieces? (and the circle of course!)

I’d love to see that!

3 Likes

Sorry - I was saying foamboard for building the plane. Did the “build your own boat from scratch” thing back when I lived in Kansas.

1 Like

I wonder how many panels it would take to pull our 40’er to Hawaii?

1 Like

Because, obviously, if you are in Kansas you need a boat… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

About tree fiddy

4 Likes

That’s it. That’s the one. You win the thread.

1 Like

At one point while living in Lawrence, Kansas I owned 2 different Hunter 25’s. One in Baltimore, Maryland and the other on San Diego, California. There’s a nice Corps of Engineers lake in Lawrence but I never managed to get either of those boats moved.
Built a Bolger Gypsy in my garage instead, and ended up moving it to my parents’ lake house in Wisconsin.

1 Like

Our Yankee 24 is in Montana on Flathead Lake, so not quite as problematic of a commute than Kansas to either ocean. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful area lived in Missoula right after I got married for a few years loved it there.

I have an idea. How about we start simple. A 3d carving.

If that goes well, we add in a tool change for the next 3d carving challenge? Anyone have a suggestion for a good small model?

2 Likes

1 to 1M… depends how long the trip will be.

Maybe the V1 Engineering Logo?

1 Like

Let me see if I can do something with the surface to make it a bit more challenging.

2 Likes