Building a BIG ONE

Hi guys,

I’ll get some pictures here asap.

I have an mpcnc that is sized to cut a full sheet of plywood. My intention for the machine is to use it just for 2D cutting. I will build a smaller one for milling next year. I purchased the hardware kit from this site, 3D printed my own parts and built a large wooden frame. I am using 18/4 wire to ensure there will be no problems with the length of the wires for this a large machine.

I realize I’m going into crazy land building such a large one. Especially using regular EMT conduit. But perhaps we can learn from my pain! :slight_smile:

My wife is cool. I have this thing in our dining room over the winter! The plan is to move it into the shop (which I am renovating at the moment) in the spring.

It is mainly assembled and operational, aside from the Z, and I can move along the X and Y axi though there is chattering.

Question #1 : I cannot manually move in either the X or Y further than 1000mm … is this a firmware limit?

Question #2 : My hardware kit came with a spring … is this to solve backlash on the Z?

#1 shouldn’t be if you are using my firmware, flash the new update just in case.
#2 I don’t understand

If using older firmware, there is a size limit.
The spring isn’t needed anymore.

https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/setting-x_max_pos-and-y_max_pos-in-firmware/

Thanks guys, I’ll flash a newer firmware. Much appreciated.

Here’s a couple of photos in the meantime.

I like it. :slight_smile:

Thanks jeffeb3.

I can confirm that after doing a firmware update I am able to move past 1000mm in X and Y. Thanks to Barry and Ryan.

I made a little gcode to have the machine run it’s perimeter, and then did this several times to wear things in.

G91
G21
G0 F2000
G0 X0.0 Y2435.0
G0 X1215.0 Y0.0
G0 X0.0 Y-2435.0
G0 X-1215.0 Y0.0
M18

What is that you’re using for the supports?

What is that you’re using for the supports?

The supports are something I created in Openscad.

I’ve seen others use adjustable supports and I may go that route. Mine are all the same height and I’ve noticed that some are loose compared to others. I figured that having them the same height is probably a good thing as it would consistently limit flex. I’ll let you know how these work out once I’ve used them some more.

Whats your flex like at the center with a tool hanging off it?

Setting the height as part of the print seems like a solid plan. I went the route of using bolts, but they tend to shift against the rails. I may have to do something similar…

Whats your flex like at the center with a tool hanging off it?

I haven’t installed the router on it yet Jason. I thought I’d get it working nicely with a pen first. I’ll let you know the flex soon.

Currently I am stunned into delay. With the lowrider coming out I might just re-make this mpcnc into a smaller unit (in a size it was designed to be) and build a lowrider to cut 4x8 sheets.

When will the lowrider be launched?

Just a quick update on this for those who are curious.

I tore it down and built a smaller mpcnc from it. Works great!

While the big ass version might have worked as a sheet cutter, there was more flex than I was comfortable with. Drawing with a pen was very shaky and inconsistent.

I’m glad Ryan made the lowrider for those of us who pushed the mpcnc beyond reason.

2 Likes

I have no idea of it.