Beefed up hardware

Hi all.
A question probably asked before but here goes first question as new member.

Strangely I can get 25mm bright round bar (bright = very nice finish on it) for better I can get conduit pipe!!!??!?

My questions is - will the additional weight of the bars be a problem for the design? The Z access will still be 25mm conduit pipe to keep it light, just curious if the cross beams the Z-axis is mounted on need to remain pipe or can be solid bar - or what the implications would be? I get the fact that the cable run can’t be inside the round bar

The intent is to use it primarily as a plasma cut table allowing standard steel sheets of 1260mm wide be accommodated. Hence the investigation into round bar to help deal with the flex over a 1465mm recommended length on the calculator.

Yes - the low rider is there - does not appeal to me - its more specific to a particular job - the standard setup seems more flexible to me - (un-informed opinion as it may be)

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

1 Like

Tube is stiffer by weight. It’s better to keep this as light as possible or you’ll end up running with ungodly slow speeds. You can use the bar for the X and Y outer rails though. Keep the moving parts tube if possible.

1 Like

thanks - that makes good sense!

Building my shopping list will certainly include this advice.

Assuming this thread is in the correct category (Lowrider), there are no X and Y outer rails …All the tubes are moving parts of the gantry.

Solid bar is really much too heavy for any part of the Lowrider, I think you’d regret using it.

its in the wrong place - rookie mistake sorry.
Was specifically trying to reference the MPCNC model

No worries…In that case listen to @barry99705 and ignore me. 8^)

Also, I’ll move the thread to the MPCNC category…

thanks - much appreciated