Bed leveling with Estlcam and a microswitch

Okay, hear me out: What if I used a microswitch instead of aluminium foil to auto level the spoilboard like in this video: CNC surface scanning / auto leveling - YouTube. So basically, replace the endmill and aluminium with a mircoswitch, maybe fastened in the collet with a 3D-printed holder, that then touches different points on the spoilboard? Does that work?

It should work fine. The final result will need to be offset by the distance to the tip of the bit. But the surface will have the same shape.

I don’t know how estlcam will handle it. Can it take a separate Z measurement after the mesh?

So i wanted to try this with my mpcnc. But i saw somewhere they recommended a real arduino. Mine came with a clone. Do you know is there any reason not to try the estlcam control on my clone??

The clones should be fine, unless they break. I don’t know much about estlcam firmware. But the arduino clones are similar in functionality. They just have cheaper parts.

Good question, I will find that out. :slightly_smiling_face:

No, I’ve been using a mega clone for nearly three years now, it’s not a problem.

Oh boy, now I have a decision to make. Not good in that dept, LOL. But I ahve been wanting to do that video for a very long time. I saw it when I was starting out with the mpcnc.

1 Like

This sounds mysterious. Which video? :sweat_smile:

Having little knowledge of how this works, but in 3d printing you can make a mesh of the bed.

Can you make a mesh of the lowriders table/spoilboard?

1 Like

your youtube video above, the surface scanning.

Ah, okay. :smile: