Back at it - Coasters for the win

As some of you know - I am full time Army National Guard. I am finishing up a 14 week Major’s career course (exhausted, to say the least) and decided since I am home every evening after course, I’d make the instructor gifts for our class. I really wanted to get this right, plus I really wanted to get into using the V-Tip 1/8" carbide cutter from V1 so I can really dig in following this project.

So, I had this 1/4" plastic left over from a locker room remodel from my building. Good hard plastic that carves really well. I taped over the face, carved, then sprayed black paint over for the face. The back - well, I got creative - I tinted a small amount of epoxy and then poured it over the back (hindsight, I should have let it drip over the edge to get a really thin cover) I removed the tape on the edge and used a quick router sled to shave it thinner than it set. I then carved into that and it left the negative for a final words to the instructors.

Overall;

1. I learned a lot about feeds and speeds for the carving.
  2. I learned how to utilize new hold down methods (ever tried workable fixative? I liked it, but I finished up with masking tape and CA glue for the small part stuff)
  3. Got better at doing things on the side while the CNC did it’s work (like study for the final exam tomorrow!)
  4. Realized that writing down steps is a really good idea (especially when the computer is upstairs in the office away from he garage)

Now the real list is coming from the boss! I’ve got a few ideas for Christmas and I love the fact I am dialed in now with time to do gifts!

10 Likes