Axis not properly homing

Hello,
Im finishing up the MPCNC and have been trying to get it to correctly home using dual end stops (I have the dual end stop firmware installed).

The Y axis properly homes and the X axis fails as the X1 truck fails to hit the limit switch (usually ~1mm away) and hardly moves any further. It has to be pushed to trigger the switch.

I noticed the Y1, Y2, and X2 trucks dont move when there is power to the motor (not moving) however the X1 truck is free. Additionally, when moving the X axis back and forth, the X1 truck lags behind the X2 truck in the sense that it appears to have a delayed start.

To solve my problem ive tried replugged everything on my SKR Pro1.2 with no difference. I also attempted tightening the two top bolts on the X1 truck with similar negligible results.

Would anyone have ideas as to what is causing this problem/ how I could solve it?

Thank you!

I have two videos of the problem however im not able to upload or link them. Sorry.

It sounds like X1is not energizing at all.
There are a few candidate reasons:

1. Bad stepper (unlikely)
  2. Bad wiring to x1 - broken wire or bad or misinstalled connector. (Probable)
  3. Bad driver (or improperly seated/installed)
  4. Firmware config (unlikely)

Swapping the x1 & x2 connections on the board will provide a big hint. It won’t be able to home correctly unless you swap limit switches too but if the x1 motor energizes and not the x2 you can look closer at the driver/firmware config. If X1 doesn’t energize and x2 still does it’s the x1 wiring (or motor).

1 Like

I am 99% sure the grubscrew is loose. I had the same problem at first. :smiley:

1 Like

Im quite shocked as I had just had that issue and went around tightening all of them.
Lo and behold, after swapping motors and seeing the same issue, I checked and it had appeared to come lose despite the grub screws being fully seated. Problem solved however.

Thank you both for the swift replies!

If you didn’t use Loctite, do it now. :slight_smile: