Aus LR3

Hi All.
Another Aus Lowrider Built.
Its taking some time and still not finished but we have movement.

No sawdust yet but soon.

Still to come are some insulation and acoustic panels to dampen the noise a bit. The the dust collection.

I have a few questions and hopefully someone cn help.

This has been asked before but cant seem to find the post trails now. The preloaded firmware is 3D printer focused and saw some of you are running cnc focused firmware. Where can i get these?

How do i connect to the wifi on the board? I do have a wifi chip as from V1 installed. Cant seem to connect.

Are there any mobile apps to control the cnc with your phone or ipad?

2 Likes

I can’t help you with your questions, because I’m using a Rambo board, standard Marlin printer based software and sneaker net, but I like your build.

In use I’m pretty sure my shopvac is the worst sound generator, but the enclosure is a great idea none the less. What acoustic treatment are you planning?

1 Like

Here is the info for headless using the ESP01 chip on the SKR Pro.

I believe @DougJoseph has a custom firmware on his TFT screen but most just run the standard V1 TFT package. Once you learn how it works it really works well, for me anyways.

1 Like

Changing the TFT screen’s display options is possible. The simplest change is to to edit the graphics for the buttons by swapping in custom graphics in the folder with the .BMP images, and then re-flashing the firmware. This requires an editable source version of the firmware, but no coding or code edits required. It’s essentially “re-skinning” the look. The more complex change is to edit the button names and/or functions. While I know this is doable, I have not yet done it. Been wanting to for a while, but just didn’t. There are YouTube videos on it.

1 Like

Thank you Peter.
I am still fine tuning everything but love this.
Agree the shopvac is a noisy one. I have added an enclosure below the cnc for it and will also be insulated. Hopefully that will help a bit.

Im going to use 90mm acoustic insulation from the local then add an addition deflector acoustic panels on top. They are about 25mm thick with a diamond pattern to break the sound waves. I have allowed for some baffles for the extraction fans within the cnc and shopvac enclosure which i will line with the diamond pattern acoustic panels.

Brilliant thank you. Will test it out first thing.

1 Like

Thank you Doug
Ill have a look sound relatively simple to accomplish.

My endstop switch connectors keep pulling out so thought why not so made a bigger plug so that all can fit within. Works like a charm.

5 Likes

Cool. Is that 3D printed?

1 Like

It is yes. Very tight fit.
Thinking of doing the same for the stepper motors

1 Like

Cool. Someone else may be interested in the model for that, if you want to share it.

Ill definitely upload it. Busy with a few custom items that might be useful for someone with a LR3. Will create a Printable profile soon.

2 Likes

Did you pull the plastic from around the pins on your board?

Nope I allowed for the individual pins to protrude out at the bottom of the print. Pins and board are kept as is. The print only forms a spacer keeping the pins vertical and in place.

This is what I was referring to…

2 Likes

I see what you mean.
I have kept those in place.
Dont see an issue if it is removed. Same concept will apply.

1 Like

with the plastic removed the Dupont connectors make a much better connection on the pins as they are able to travel farther on them.

That is a good suggestion. I might remove them as well to ensure the best connection.

1 Like

This is the way… unless you change the motor connectors to the JST style that lock onto the plastic.

2 Likes

Okay so the Architect in me are playing with the idea to redesign the control box containing the SKR Board and TFT screen fkr the Lowrider 3 to allow for cable management inside as well as some connection pins for easily connecting a touch probe. Also looking at a hinge type lid for ease of access and a two stage grill to minimize dust on the board.

What kind of heat is generated by the board?
Will there be a need for small fans?

1 Like