Anything that floats 2022

Getting a paint job.

1 Like

Karate kid skills, look at that stance.

Don’t forget some stickers on that thing!

Mosquito fighting technique…

Ready to race!

3 Likes

First test trip… SUCCESS!

Racing tomorrow.

11 Likes

The wagon is so perfect!

• boat trailer

Yes, my bad. Off road capable yacht hauler!

1 Like

Competition was tight this year but he managed to pull out a win in the final push.

Ice cream was had by all.

12 Likes

Congratulations to the dream team!

Any details on the other builds? Is that a tarp with hay in it, if so that is cool like a floating bird nest.

2 Likes

There were about 12 entries this year and yeah the bag of sticks was one of my favorites. They took a tarp threw a piece of ply, put in some sticks and stuff and cinched up the tarp. It warmed great.

A couple of pvc pipe boats, a bunch of cardboard creations, and a few other designs rounded out the competition.

1 Like

Well done, fun project. When you say a few layers of cloth and glue to make pmf (poor man’s fiberglass) , are you talking PVA glue or actual Resin? I cant imagine PVA glue being that strong.

Titebond II (PVA ), a cloth painters tarp followed by 2 thick coats of latex paint. I wouldn’t trust it for a boat I cared about but for a one season boat for a 6 year old it worked well enough. If I were building a real boat fiberglass is superior in almost every way.

Here’s where I got the idea:

1 Like

Canvas canoes with exterior oil paint were common for years before the advent of resins and fiberglass. Paint touched up annualy (refreshed at the start of the season) and new canvas maybe every 10 years or so, if my grandfather is to be believed.

The “BoardYak” stand-up/sit-down paddleboard my daughter and I built from Dave Gentry plans and templates used a fun blend of old-school and new-school materials and techniques. The structure is 1/2" home-center plywood for frames, cedar fence boards ripped down for stringers, all finished with boilded linseed oil then laced together with “artificial sinew” (a heavily waxed twine). The covering is heat-shrunk Dacron fabric stitched and stapled in place, with hardware store Rust-oleum paint filling the weave. Whole thing weighs about 15 pounds.

Going strong after 5 years with just occasional paint touch-ups, but it is stored indoors.

4 Likes

I’ve heard this too. My father used to talk about his canvas kayak he had for years. Unfortunately, neither the kayak or my father are still around… :confused: