Any UK MPCNC owners?

Yeah buddy!!!

1 Like

Thanks man.

I think I can improve the speed of the operations, that job was around 1.5 hours, I have no frame of reference so not sure if that’s about right, but once I have my prototype made I can experiment a bit more, though if I’m honest this last run was pretty smooth and made a functional part, so maybe “aint broke don’t fix it” applies.

Its the first part for larger project, so i’ll post the results when complete as it will be at least 75% thanks to MPCNC

Yeah that is a tough spot. When you make lots of the same part it lets you tweak settings on each go to really push things in a systematic way. One off’s all tend to present there own challenges and if it works is what I usually default to. Definitely experiment though Getting just the right sized bite can really make the cuts amazing, too little and too much are both equally rough.

Well done

I concur with Ryan. A one off part is just that and doesn’t allow for operational improvements.

I thought learning to drive a 3d printer was quite an achievement , but its a walk in the park compare to CNC Router. As Ryan as suggested, the bits make a big difference and also the make of bit makes a difference. I have a large collection of bit’s now. some work and others don’t. Up/Down cutting. No of flutes, shank width, cutting length OMG My brain hurts.

But back to your achievement

WELL DONE YOU

1 Like

Hello UK MPCNC people, I’ve just started having a go at this as it sounded like a fun project. It’s coming together (although it’s not yet squared or screwed in yet) and I’m still waiting on my PSU and some other wiring essentials. Hopefully have it all together in a few weeks as I’m doing it in my lunch break at work.

3 Likes

Hi Thomas - welcome to the forum!
Is that Screwfix conduit? Were you able to find any #6-32 bolts? Have you decided where you’re going to put your electronics?

FWIW, I’m in Sussex, and just drew my first crown. My build thread is here.
Robin

Hi Robin, yep screwfix conduit was the cheapest by far. Had to chop a few rough patches off and take from the ends (as they had stored it on something which left an obvious fulcrum point and slight bend) but it runs smooth.

The bolts I just made do with what I had or bought what I could from China.

My boxes will be on the bit of the table to one side of the CNC that I’ve left clear, I’ll build a box with a fan and a filter to stop it getting gummed up.

Well done on getting the crown drawn, I think I’m going to find the electronics side of it a lot more difficult than the construction side

Scottish MPCNC owner here. Mine is a lot smaller and with stainless 1" tubes. I had a similar idea for the electronics and built a rectangular box with a smaller 12v fan inside blowing on the drivers and a larger one on the top (and offset) blowing air up and out of the box. The air inlet is a gap at the bottom of the long long outer edge - I assumed that this location would be as far away as possible from dust!

Great to see other’s machines!

1 Like

I’ve just completed my first wood cut.
I could only find a blunt bit but I’m happy it worked OK.
I used a BTT SKR 1.4 turbo main board with five (I’m only using three at the moment) DRV8825 for £22.58 which seemed a bit bleeding edge when compiling Marlin (I’m using 2.0.4.4).
The router is KATSU 710w router for £35.99 from Amazon.
The steppers were around £51.51 from Aliexpress and the display £13.47 from Banggood.
The conduit is from Screwfix which is OK but not good about £10 for 3 meters.
I had issues with the micro switch detection due to the cables being too close the the stepper motor cables so once I separated them I could home the axis’s.

No I’m trying to figure out how to use it and generate the gcode…

2 Likes

That’s a pretty good looking she-shed sign!

And a seriously tall build!

Hello all from Bedfordshire. Starting my MPCNC prints this week :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m started a UK build too! Mines going to be a slow build though as I’ve ordered a Prusa Mini which I probably won’t receive until June but I don’t mind taking it slow.

I’ve ordered pretty much all the parts I need. Total build cost looks like it’s going to come out to around £300 which is a bit more pricey than some have done it for but I’ve been trying to get quality parts and avoid aliexpress where I can.

Got the rambo board directly from V1 to support the project and to ensure I don’t get a knock-off which ends up bumping the price up due to shipping and the inevitable import tax.

Thinking about going for a 600x750 work area. I’ll mostly be doing wood so think I can get away with the extra size and will probably go for stainless steel to help with the rigidity, although again a bit more expensive than the screwfix stuff.

2 Likes

Sorry for the long delay.
I wanted to do carving and so matched the length of the z screw hence the height.

To keep the cost down I built my controller with a Big Tree TEch SKR V1.4 Turbo With DRV8825 drivers which was just over £50 all in. It was a pain to get Marlin to work but now I’m thinking about getting TMC2209 drivers for sensorless homing…

My wife has a image she wants me to cut out so I’m working on creating the object file.
I’ve tried getting a scanner to scan it in but I haven’t found one at a price I can afford which can do the job.
I used photogrammetry to create the object file now I’m trying to create my gcode…

My wife forced to me to create a planter from a £2 pallet so I thought I would have a go at carving.
I used Inkscape and estlcam it was quiet easy but the router is noisy

3 Likes

Nice pallet Mr Tovee, might nick that idea.

Cutting out these words and images took about 5 mins per section. The only issue is that it’s very loud. I’m having a go at boxing the CNC router in so it’ll be quieter (thats the plan).
I’ve been using Octopi (https://octoprint.org) to mange both my 3d and CNC router. The problem with my router is I can’t get the controller board to read from a memory card.
The Octoprint software seems to be very good for managing the router and I plan to use a camera with Octopi to monitor the router.
How to other people manage the noise or the router other than ear plugs?

FYI, CNC routers are much more of a fire hazard than 3D printers. I would never leave mine alone with the router on.

I have a couple of different earmuffs and stuff that I can use for protection. Then I have a bag of those orange plugs because I inevitably leave the earmuffs somewhere else. I also have about 5 pairs of glasses and I can only ever find one :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I have a set of muffs with bluetooth and mics. Be very careful with camera be in the room fire is a real concern

Thanks Jeffeb3 & Tim W,
I wasn’t planning on leaving it alone it’s just so noisy and I live on a housing estate. I building a box to test how much I can bring the noise level down. If successful I’ll put a window it it if not the design will be revised.
I’m trying to do 3d carving which seems to take a very long time…

1 Like

It will also contain the dust