Advice on wiring end stops.

wireless pendant?

A cnc pendant is just a remote control for jogging the machine around and things. For example: https://www.amazon.com/P4-S-Pendant-Mach3-LinuxCNC-PathPilot/dp/B00MGOE0ZO

My shop computer is about 10 ft away from the mpcnc, but when I need to jog the router to some position I can just carry the wireless keyboard with me next to the machine and jog with the arrow keys.

Yes. A big tablet can probably use the UI as is, but there is also a plugin for tablets called “tinyweb pendant”. It also has octoprint installed, and I have had good luck with the touchUI plugin from my phone.

No need, if you have a tablet. Wifi = wireless pendant!

Of course, I go to drill some holes for the spoil board tonight and the initial movement command to get to the first hole grinds the Z motor stepper and the X gets out of whack… guess I gotta figure out how to slow down the max speeds in arduino… lessons learned 5 years ago, not front of mind haha

So the switch has 3 poles the wire has 2. Which poles are used?

On the switch, you use C, and NC. On the rambo, you use (-) and (s).

Thanks the cables supplied with the Rambo and end stops has cables with black going to minus. Since I need to solder on the wires which pin goes to which. Sorry for my rookie questions

I went black to (-) and white to the (s)

Got that connector wired that way. Black goes to C or NC on switch?

If you are wiring to the bare switches, it doesn’t matter. The switches are not directional.

2 Likes

Ok so black (-) to C and white (s) to ND

Thanks for your input!

Switch connection labels explained:
NO = Normally open (connection made to common when switch is pressed/activated)
NC = Normally closed (connection to common broken when switch is pressed/activated)
C = Common

Thanks, so it doesn’t matter if I connect (-) to NC or C and (s) to the one I didn’t connect to with (-).

Correct.

You the man :sunglasses:!

There’s a simplicity vs “most safe” (i.e. least prone to letting the machine tear itself apart if a string of bad things happens) argument for whether limit switches should be wired NO or NC, so most software/firmware allows for either. The drivers and steppers most people are using in these machines will skip steps before they do physical damage to the machine, so it’s really a personal preference question.

You just need to make sure the software setting matches the physical switch setup that you choose.

Using a Rambo 1.4 from Ryan

Ryan’s firmware has the X and Y limit switches configured to be by Normally Closed and to trigger when they are opened.

Thanks that’s what I’ll do :+1: