Advice for using LR v3 for Laser only

Greetings! I am wondering if anyone has made an LRv3 and used it solely for laser? If so, care to share your build? TIA!

I don’t think so, but there are quite a few people who use both.

If only laser, i would suggest no z lift. I would use manual adjuster. If you ever want to use cnc do not listen to my advice.

I have been contemplating (and will shortly) starting a whole new laser build thread asking this question and more, so please see this in the context of a discussion rather than a response to your question!.

Many have successfully used their LR3’s with lasers, however I have decided not to go this route.

This is OK if you already have the LR3 perhaps but there are lots of compromises as far as I can see, the least of them being the construction of an enclosure for proper fume evacuation and eye protection.

Since the laser mechanicals don’t carry anywhere near the loads of a cnc, the LR3 is way overkill (I think).

To make matters worse, the cost of complete diode laser machines is now not significantly more than the cost of buying the diode bits. (Bargains notwithstanding).

Maybe in my ignorance I am approaching this from the wrong direction but for instance - this 33w laser upgrade kit include pretty much all you need to get going I think for $800 US

For another $600-00 you can have the whole thing on a lightweight 900 x 900 frame, which is less than the cost of the LR3 hardware and plastic parts.

I can’t help but think that the answer is somewhere between the two, something like @mbamberg Mike’s Franken Laser..

Watching this thread with great interest now! :wink: