A question for the "experts" in here (i.e. professional CNC operators)... CNC vs NC

I do too… but I work on my computer so that others can turn on their computers… computer crazy :crazy_face:

I have always understood that it all comes down to whether it uses a turbo encabulator or not.

Back in the early 80s I worked as an application engineer for Allen Bradley, the leading CNC manufacturer at the time. There were at that time certain industries that were computer phobic. Steel and rubber. To name a couple I have first hand experience with (being in the Akron/Cleveland area).
When working with these industries we would call CNC controllers NC machines. There wasn’t any difference at all. It was probably the unions that didn’t want computers as there was little understanding of how to incorporate the new technology into their hierarchy.
AB also made Programable Controllers, Wecalled them PCs. These computers used much of the same or similar hardware but ran a ladder logic interpreter that simulated relay ladder logic that union electricians were trained to use. We never called these controllers computers.
NC and PC were just more acceptable terms than computer.

5 Likes

Thanks for that interesting perspective on industry semantics! :+1: