49 X 97 LR2 Dual Endstops & Rotating Table

So the NEJE A40640 is on the way. More to come once it arrives and we start designing a mount and getting it to function with the V1 firmware. Any suggestions?

So after printing out the crown on dry erase board. I stepped it up to some HD Foam and ran some tests. All good. Learned allot with Estlecam. Loaded up some 1/2" MDF and cut out some Y Plates. I noticed the ones I created out of 3/4" plywood started to warp. When I got the kit I realized the bundle
hardware was for 1/2" wide Y plates so I ran the ones I made through the planner. Well that caused them to warp in this dry Colorado air so I needed some new ones. My wheels wont track straight on that side causing the Z tubes to run into the table causing skips and errors in milling. These should help! Check it out!

1 Like

Laser is here and mounted up. About to run my wiring. Just want to verify I plug the connections in to right spot on the SKR 1.4T. The 12v and GND go to the FAN 0 connector. The PWM signal I would like to assign to pin 2.0 on the servo connection. Is that possible or am I going about this all wrong?

1 Like

If you have issues keeping them straight and true, you can fit some angle aluminum across the top and tie onto the wheel bolts. It really helped keep mine straight in our humid weather

Alright got it all hooked up and it works like a charm. The Fan 0 connection controls power and PWM so no need for the PWM. I would like to see the laser temp so is it possible to run the temp wire to one of the thermistors connections and monitor it there?

Got some test cuts done. More testing to go.

2 Likes

I have the exactly same laser that runs flawless with a rambo V1.4 board but does not wanna work with a SKR 1.4 , 1.4 Turbo or SKR pro 1.2
What did you change in the Firmware? and what laser control board did you use? (mine came with 2 different boards one with a lcd and a very simple one with 3 ways to connect 12V, GND and TTL )

Don’t change anything in the firmware. Simply plug the 12v and GRND connections into the FAN 0 connection on the board and your good to go. I didnt use either control board that came with laser. I just ran a wire to laser from SKR. NEJE 40w will take 3.3v-12v to fire and control PWM.

3 Likes

Thank you.
I was reading the board and @Tuco made a nice write up about using pin PC9…and didn’t work at all for that laser on the SKR Pro.
I endup installing a spare Rambo on my LowRider to use the laser.
next week I will be able to remount the SKR and try the laser the way you did.
Thank you again.

1 Like

I’ve ordered the same laser as you! I’m waiting impatiently, in the mean time I enjoy seeing how you figure things out :+1:

1 Like

Since the lens is set on the 40w model I use the touch plate from V1 to move the laser into position on the Z axis. I figured out my focal length for engraving is 17.33mm and for cutting I adjust it to 18.83. this drops the focal point to 1.5mm below the surface. Air assist is clearly key. One of my tests last night was with and without air assist and the results are clear. With air assist I was able to cut through oak veneer 1/4" plywood @ 10mm/s 100% power 5 passes. Without air assist it took 10 passes and still wasn’t completely through. Not to mention the charring and burn marks on top and bottom. I am going to order a large sheet of stainless mesh for the table. I used a scrap piece of mesh I had for testing.

2 Likes

Thanks alot! I’ve already been thinking about how to figure out the air. I see people build custom air-nozzle cones that goes around the laser - but I think your approach is good enough. I have an air compressor in the neighboor room, and thinking of running some pipes to have air acces close to the MPCNC. Some kind of mesh sounds also wise. Looking forward to figuring things out!

1 Like

You could also do something like this for air assist:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XDKRYC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Here’s the link to the one I selected: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078H92695/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I need to fine tune mine not sure I am happy with the air output. I might use my shop compressor and a regulator set to 15-25 psi and see if I get better results

Try using larger diameter tubing.

1 Like

Welcome to the crew! Glad to have you.

(I’m a little late in welcoming you but, welcome none the less!)

1 Like

Thanks brother glad to be here and thanks again for a great design.

1 Like

Here’s is the laser mount I designed for the NEJE 40w to mount to the 611 plate next to the X axis stepper motor. It utilizes one of the holes from the 611 plate which I found to be adequate enough. For added support I added a second bolt hole and inset for a 3mm nut. This will require you drill a 1/8" hole in the 611 plate.

2 Likes

I figured out that the laser mounted in this position interferes with the bolt comin through the wheel on the X axis positive max. I turned the bolt around placing the nut on the outside providing the clearance I needed to get to my X max again. I made some changes to the laser mount to move it as close to the X axis stepper motor as possible. I also designed an air assist to accept a 3/8" O.D. 1/4" I.D. hose. I use a curved plastic syringe tip (i use them for glue) as the tip works perfect and the air pressure actually kicks out the burnt dust now as intended.

Here you can see the issue when the carriage is at max X +.

Here is the new air assist piece I am testing. I am working on a new design that holds the 1.2mm stainless needle, this way I can bend it after mounting to the exact spot.

The space between the laser body and the stepper motor will be reduced in the new design, I will post a photo once I print the new one and mount it.

Here you can see the bolt turned around to provide additional clearance.

I also added a flexible LED light strip under the router, works well.

2 Likes

Well since the Lowrider is done and cutting now I cut out all my stations for my cedar strip canoe project. I was able to cut them out and engrave the canoe type and station location number on each piece as well.

6 Likes

Very Nice! I hope you’ll post more pix of the canoe in progress.

2 Likes