3D Printing question to the experts

I have a general question. Sorry not related to my Primo, hope it’s okay.
Trying to fix the rollers on our lower basket of the kitchen dishwasher.

Need to print a little part that holds the rollers on. Base is the size of a nickel.

If I print the way it’s shown it is more brittle in the flexing between layers. I can print on the side but then I have all of the supports to clean off.

Any tips at printing in this orientation??

thanks

1 Like

I had to print some replacement parts that clip like that.

I redesigned the part with 2 prongs and made it flat on the side so that there was about a 1.5mm gap on the side of the circular cross section.

1 Like

I’ve had to print a similar part for my dishwasher. In my case, it holds on the rollers for the top rack. Over time, three of the four of these clips have failed and I’ve had to 3D print replacements. Due to the heat in the dishwasher, I printed my rollers in ASA.

For many tubular items you want to print on their side, you can just clip one side flat, and the part will work just fine. For your part, it might look like:

Given the cuts, you might need some supports inside the tube.

Edit: In thinking about it, I’d probably do it this way:

Since the two parts are to be glued, you no longer need the hollow interior and the relief cuts. The barb can be printed on it side for strength. If you really wanted to get fancy, you could have the disk threaded on the rod.

1 Like

Thanks,
Ooops I did not think about the heat. I printed with fine setting and 20% fill. They snapped perfect. Now let’s see what heat will do.

They are for the lower rack and are dual wheels. Only available as an assembly by Maytag. $70 each assembly!

So $280!

That’s so funny I’ve had to make these too for my dishwasher! I printed mine in polycarbonate but PETG might be a good bet if you print it hot. There’s not to much stress on it during the wash so you could get pretty close to Tg and be ok. That washer soap is pretty rough stuff so you want really good layer bonding.

This is the rail clip that I printed. You can see the tabs on the original (grey) are broken, there used to be 3. The blue part clips in okay though and prints quickly and easily

That was my initial thought, but on thinking about it I would be tempted to make two half pins and use the second one to lock the first one in place. Don’t forget to add enough perimeter walls so that there will be no infill needed.

1 Like

Funny how many Dishwasher parts break. Perhaps it is the harsh environment versus a nice profit stream of after market parts. I will have to experiment with some other materials.

Thanks to all