18"x30" Build from Texas (first experience with a CNC)

Most “dust collectors “ filters max out at 5-30 microns. I also run a hepa filter in the shop.

I just exhaust outside my shop. :grin: So far no complaints from the squirrelss or deer.

First attempt at a true 2.5d carve is going well. Update coming soon!

3 Likes

See, I would call that 3D because you are not milling on levels but doing contours and the edge is curved! Did you generate code from an STL?

Nice. I haven’t done this yet.

Yes, generated from an stl.

Finished product:

3 Likes

Yes, that’s 3D. Nice, even if you didn’t flip a fourth axis!

1 Like

In the cnc router world, that’s 2.5d because we’re not carving the back side(no overhangs).

Looks good!

I thought we had this conversation before and this was still considered 3D. 2.5D would be any varying Z height, but still with 2D paths. like the box that Marion made.

1 Like

I just got an inquiry from facebook. A guy wants to have me carve a Navy piece for his disabled vet father.

Welp, there goes any profit margin I might have charged :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

South Austin build starting up here… currently printing my parts. gonna go something in the neighborhood of 24x36 workspace…

love the cabinet! i was kinda sorta thinking about one, but seeing yours made the final decision for me.

3 Likes

Awesome @Project5k! Good luck on your build. Glad to hear that there is someone so close by working on one! Let me know if you need any advice or help!

will do. I think I have a pretty good handle on things, converted a grizX3 mill to cnc with Mach 3 years ago, so this should be basically the same thing. I am currious about a few things… I have the mach 3 usb board, but i’ve never used it(my old setup was through the serial port) wondering if i should just go with something more like the rambo board… I’d like to go with double end switches, and hoping to have spindle on/off software controled. I’m thinking i’ll prolly wanna run it from a sd card, and not have a computer connected all the time… so that would kill the mach3 all together…

any input would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’m running the Rambo. Don’t have dual endstops set up at this time, but about to set up spindle and dust collection on/off using this:

Full sized Rambo, LCD (which has sd card), and the iot relay Chris pointed to. The dual endstops need a computer attached at some point to calibrate it.

When you order the rambo, make sure Ryan knows you want dual endstop firmware. It is easier if he flashes it for you.

2 Likes

thanks for the info, I actually have a coupla SSR’s laying around that weren’t used in another project, so I was figuring on using one of those, and just switch my vac and spindle on the same circuit.

attaching a computer temporarily is fine, i just don’t want to have to have a dedicated machine for the job, I just don’t see the benefit. The only gain I would see by having a dedicated machine would be to network the files over, rather than sd card, and since my 3d printer is sd, why change things?

another question, seems to me the time it would take to gather up all the nuts and bolts would be a pain, is the hardware kit worth the time savings? I already have plenty of 608 bearings, a leadscrew i can use, steppers, pulleys, belt, and shouldered idlers. Did yall kit it, or gather it up yourselves?

2 Likes

I got the kit. Saved a ton of time and effort. I’d say it was more than worth it.

1 Like

New User of the Month? Wow. That’s awesome! I just hope I’ve been entertaining and maybe a bit helpful at times. Please let me know if I get annoying!

2 Likes

5 Likes

Just added the lot relay from amazon, to turn the spindle and vacuum on and off with gcode, and got it right, first try!

Now I just need to print a dust collection boot and install the vacuum.

2 Likes

Bamboo cutting board fun.

1 Like