18"x30" Build from Texas (first experience with a CNC)

Nerves, huh? That ain’t it, i must be some kind of idiot! That skipping I saw (mentioned in the Facebook group) was at 0.4 inches, i think, 20 ipm. That’s about 10mm doc, 8.5mm/s if my arithmetic holds up. I did switch that endmill to a new one, BTW, but I slowed down about 25% because I wanted to get those pieces finished. I’ve got some scrap I hope to mess with next weekend to get that all sorted out.

The feeds and speeds is where I spend most of my time on each project.

If you’re using ESTLCam, you could just have a different tool library for each wood type. Save the tool library to a different file name. Then load up the library for the material you’re cutting. I did that. Now I’m in the process of doing something similar with the Tool Library in F360.

4 Likes

I never even thought of that. I will definitely try and save different tool library’s for each wood. Thanks!

1 Like

@niget2002 Thanks for posting that - I’ve been very frustrated with Estlcam’s default tool management approach (which seemed to be a single default library). After seeing your post, I now notice that you can File->save/open directly from the Tool list window (never noticed that before). Thanks again! :+1:

1 Like

I finally got my 1" spoilboard leveling bit!!!

Cut a new piece of MDF, drilled and tapped for T-nuts. Mounted it down and leveled it.

Then I cut a grid design 0.2mm deep in the surface. I didn’t mount the spoilboard down straight, so the lines don’t perfectly intersect with the holes, but that is unimportant.

What do yall think?

By the way, I took measurements, and the 1" grid is EXACTLY 1" on both X and Y axis!!! I don’t know how I managed to get it square on the first try!

Grid is 18" X axis and 9" Y axis. I have 2" extra on both axis, but figured I’d make it 2" smaller on each axis because I run without endstops at all.

7 Likes

You lucky SOB! Not meant to be offensive, assuming luck, but if it was ALL skill you’d KNOW how it happened!
Good job, dude!

Oh, you are not offensive at all. And yes, massive luck, because I know I don’t have that much skill.

1 Like

What bits are you using in these projects?

Sam,
I’ve got several (some from v1 and some from Harbor Freight of all places).
For most of my projects, I’ve been using the 1/8" 45° v-bit and the 1/8" stub 2 Flute Carbide Endmill from the v1 shop.

For some of the larger work, I’ve been using 1/4" shank, 1/4" and 1/2" flat mills from HF and a 1/4" 90° v-bit from HF.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve been searching Home Depot and Lowes but they don’t seem to have any of these in stock. I’m on my way to Harbor Freight now.

I found a Diablo 1/4" spiral uncut but at Home Depot a couple weeks ago. It has worded great on the projects I’ve used it. But it was a bit spendy at $21.

A link for anyone who wants it:
Diablo 1/4 inch Spiral Uncut Bit

It has been a LONG time since I’ve posted (8 months). Has been a hectic year!

I have not run my mpcnc much because I’ve been so busy. Have added some new tools to my arsenal, and those have taken up all of my time.

I’ve also made some progress on building a much bigger and better shop to house the mpcnc and all of my other projects.

My wife and my boss bought a business together this summer. They are the proud owners of a trophy and custom engraving business that has been established for over 30 years!

New tools I’m using in the engraving business:
Epilog Laser Engraver (30w co2 model) NOT ONE OF THE CHEAP CHINESE LASERS
40+ year old rotary engraver
Sublimation machine

Its been a journey learning these new machines, and attempting to build a bigger, better equipped shop. Once the shop is complete (likely early spring) I will be tearing down and rebuilding the mpcnc, as well as probably building a lowrider to do bigger projects.

I’m really hoping to find some time to get back out and start creating again soon!

1 Like

Sounds exciting! I hope you’re enjoying the new toys.

Oh yes, I’m enjoying the hell out of the new toys. BUT I really want to get back to having the time to play with this one.

I may have to empty out my current shop this weekend and make something, just because :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

David,

How did you mount these aviation connectors in your setup?

Mike

I 3d printed an enclosure and had holes for them to mount to. The ones I bought are panel mount. There’s a big nut that bolts them into the hole.

David,

Are you willing to share the stl file or gcode for the enclosure you designed?

Mike

Links to all of the stls for my build are in my build thread here:

The enclosure is designed to fit both a mini-rambo and a raspberry pi 3.

David, Thanks for the link.

Mike

1 Like