13" thickness planer experiences/recommendations

Woodcraft catalog just arrived, and they have a doorbuster sale of a Jet 13" with helical head for $899… not a bad deal vs Dewalt with helical. Been putting off a planer for years and really need a bandsaw first, but that price is hard to resist.

Anyone regret getting DW734 and wish they’d paid more for DW735? DW735 cuts per inch (CPI) at both 96 or 179, sounds like quality would be better.

Anyone happy with their Bauer, or other planers less spendy than Dewalt?

Have some rough lumber, mostly soft, this is a hobby for me, am not churning out production quantities.

I thought you just double tap 2 110v breakers to get 220? At least, that’s how the old guy who built out my basement did it before we bought the house.

He had 8 220v drops for heavy tools and they all traced back to double 110v breakers on a 100amp service panel. I kept two and had enough capacity for 12 additional 110 circuits

Agree, did this for underfloor heating, changed 120V to 240V at the service panel (USA), swapped 1 breaker for 2 paired, was able to reuse existing 12/2 wiring as-is running from the panel. Doesn’t have AFCI protection though.

1 Like

To clarify the meaning of “double/paired” for future readers…

A “2-pole” breaker is required for 220 circuits. They have a mechanical link between 2 separate 110 poles, so that when one side trips it opens the other side as well.

A “tandem” breaker is a 1-slot unit that contains a pair of unlinked 110 breakers. These are meant for 110 circuits, and should not be used to supply 220. I am unaware of any manufacturer that produces 1-slot 2-pole breakers (outside of Zinsco, which if you still have one of those it needs replacement anyways).

2 Likes

Good clarification- thanks.